I’ve been pondering for a while what a generic any *nix book would look like. Not a guide to fedora, or debuan or FreeBSD. But like the broad stokes of what anyone might need to know when getting their feet wet with any distro or BSD for the first time.
What chapters would such a book need? Assuming we’re limited it to 64bit x86 computers? and assuming its aimed at desktop computers?
Here is a first pass:
- Partition Tables MBR/GUID
- Swap Partitions
- Common Installation Questions
- Intro to basic shell commands
- Guided tour of common desktop environments
- Basic Packagemanagement and Ports trees
- Basic control of services & configuration
- BSD style rc.conf