Add CC0 to a website, awesomely

I have issues. Also, the kind that are actively tracked. I noticed the first one was about adding CC0 to my site.

https://allthe.codes/maiki/interi/issues/1

I am currently refreshing my site, and wanted to tap the crowd to find cool examples of licensing in the wild. I always feel like I should add more details, rather than a short statement or link to the dedication page.

Seen a neat CC0 or PD declaration? :slight_smile:

I can’t recall any specific ones at the moment, but I appreciate when someone has a page or post explaining why they’re using the license they’re using. Sometimes a dedicated page, sometimes part of a colophon or other meta page.

1 Like

@mlinksva I have a similar task, in applying CC0 to a repo of spec sheets @tim and I are putting together.

My impulse is to dump the text of CC0 into LICENSE, but that doesn’t feel right; CC0 is a dedication, and I expect to see license text in that file, whereas CC0 seems like a brief sentence pointing to the human-readable page, and another sentence suggesting how to best link to us and such. Those would go in README, I guess.

What’s weird is if you search for CC0 on other sites, they often have that short blurb at a /license URL. I feel like the FAQs for CC0 focus more on the big warning to know what you are doing, and doesn’t provide guidance on terminology and showing it off.

Would you care to make a non-binding, bystander netizen recommendation? :slight_smile:

CC0 is a license (well, it contains a license; read it carefully to see). There’s nothing wrong at all with dumping it into a LICENSE file.

In general (regardless of the license or other instrument) it’s also good to:

• mention the license in the README if one exists
  • link to the license in generated web pages, if they exist