All my computers died

I am writing this post, partially from my phone, and partially from a borrowed tablet notebook (thanks Justin!). The keyboard is too small for my comfort, and it has the eraser pointing device in the middle, and it is generally less than optimal for me to use. But as the title spells out, all of my computers are dead.

Last week Cloud, the iMac (which is technically Susan’s, but I work from it), was running hot, so I turned it off for the day. When I went to boot it the screen turns on, the hard drive makes a few clicking sounds before powering down, and we suddenly have a very fashionable paperweight (I wonder when that reference will no longer make sense…). It sucks, of course, but we found a place to do data recovery (we hope), and install a new hard drive. Also, some more RAM while their at it. So, even if we lose all our data, we will be getting back a better computer… T_T

Two nights ago my laptop, a MacBook Pro running Ubuntu, began running hot, in my lap no less. So I shut it off for a while. And it wouldn’t boot again. I went to sleep, slightly irritated, but thinking it was just a fluke. In the morning, it booted fine. That would be the last time. Now it turns on, makes the Apple sound, and starts heating up, but nothing on the screen, and no keyboard lights.

It is still under Apple Care, which is code for pain in my ass that I directly correlate with a corporation. I will be taking it in today. I don’t do backups on my laptop, because it is essentially a thin client, everything is either in the cloud or on an external drive. But it is still leaving me in an awkward situation, where I am a web developer without my own computer.

Fortunately we will be getting Cloud back today or tomorrow. I essentially only lost one day’s worth of work, though who knows the irritation and queuing I will be doing in the coming hours (and days).

As soon as I have a chance, I am going to pick up a Hoverboard.

Update (Wed. evening): I dropped orenji (the laptop) at the Apple Store. They will call me in the next couple of days with their diagnosis. Bleh.

Update (Thur. evening): Apple store called, logic board/video card died. Covered by Apple Care, part will take 5 to 7 business days to get in. Meh.

Cloud, on the other hand, is taking longer than anticipated due to the Windows partition. I told them to scrap it, if that would speed up the data recovery. I am really hoping the MacOS X partition is recovered, just for the time it will save re-installing the applications. Should be done tomorrow or Sat.

Get Rachel to make an ubuntu science badge! haha

My friend says the whole point of chromium is that you can throw your laptop into a volcano and it won’t matter. Seems you’re already there!

1 Like

I was talking to Colin about it, he observed that I have a special relationship with computers, requiring a larger budget than average to maintain. Seems accurate.

It occurs to me that the MacBook Pro was actually not durable enough for me. Maybe they have a demographic in mind that uses it and it works fine, but I think I was too hard on the hardware. I don’t think I am abnormal, but I think most computers are going to be sub-par for my “power” usage.

Incidentally, the optical drive hasn’t worked on my laptop for a year or something, so the absence is no problem for me. I am fine having a single external drive that can be used on any of my computers, one day. Currently I can use Cloud or the PS3 to consume DVDs, but I am fine with phasing optical drives out in time.

Today I’m borrowing @susan’s laptop (:rofl:) as mine recently died, and the desktop I use I have to keep running otherwise I have to discharge and reset the bios… it’s a whole thing.

Also, sometimes my phones keyboard does strange stuff, like… type all my letters at once.

And I think I cut my finger a little on the cracked screen, and that certainly isn’t gonna get better…

Okay, I get it, I need reliable hardware! I wear through them, apparently

Shipping next month: a Librem 14 laptop. I have high hopes for that device. And now I’m considering getting a Librem 5, because today I realized we’ve barely gotten half the human population online, but they will and when they do it will be through mobile devices, so if the future is mobile devices mine is gonna run a free OS.

Check back in ten years, after the geomagnetic storm renders all the devices useless, making my earlier joke about the paperweight as funny as it is lost (but let’s be honest, I’m probably gonna print some of these by then, and this one is definitely gonna be preserved!).

2 Likes