Analogue duality - Or how I learned to love turntables and records(And even cassettes)

Hi all!

It was a Christmas morning that I said, “I would like a record player”. Of course, even I thought I was ludicrous for saying something like that. Is there any need for things like records nowadays. with the likes of spotify and other digital services? I didn’t think there was, but at the same time, I wanted to experience and see if there was any difference in my understanding of music.

Fast forward 2 years later, and now I have a desire again to try records(and cassettes) as well. Lots of people think it’s a fad. I don’t think it’s a fad to want to own a physical object that you could potentially pass onto the next generation, without worrying about things like DRM, or whether the hard drives you put things on survive. Anyways, I bought a turntable, a Audio-Technica LP60X, because it was recommended for beginners. Then I bought a record, Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories. The day I got the player I was so worried that I’d made a dumb decision and had plunged nearly $100 on a pointless, but extravagant, thing. A day later I got the record. I had watched many videos and done lots of research about records and turntables, and now was the moment of truth. I put the record in and the sound was amazing! It sounded so crisp and alive, like I was finally discovering music that had been away from me all these years. I eagerly listened to the rest, and was just amazed at it as I was the first part.

I’ll save the cassettes for another story, but I just wanted to let y’all know that, the biggest takeaway from all this that I learned is not to doubt myself when it comes to discovering “new” things, learning that (some) modern technology has it’s pitfalls, and that ownership of your media is really important. These things shouldn’t be taken for granted.

Finally. I wanted to say that I’ve ordered a record off Bandcamp. I don’t know how well Bandcamp generally treats the records it ships, but I hope it treats them well. I guess it depends on the label. I’m getting a record from an anti-fascist metal band called Smoulder, it’s called “Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring.” Look it up sometime!

As always, have a good one everyone!

3 Likes

So, with the swing back to analog media, I’m awaiting until we get to the repeat of MiniDisc!

Records and cassettes are made more durable today, due to advances in material technologies. Imagine what we could do with a free Hi-MD++ format for media?!

I’m not sure Sony or others would let that happen, which is too bad. I’d like relatively cheap, large capacity portable storage slots made from sturdy materials for archiving/sneakernetting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Insta-refute: I love my Plenue D DAP! So small, so powerful!

I get the best of both worlds: a nice artifact to hold, and mah jams in hidef! :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s good @maiki! Usually I just use my phone when out and about, and use apps like Soundcloud, Bandcamp and yes even Spotify. I prefer the sound of a record player as I said above, but you can’t bring a record player with you on a plane. Speaking of the record player again, I bought the following album: Radio-Activity by Kraftwerk. It’s great! I plan to get more Kraftwerk records.

Do you listen to FLAC or other lossless codecs? If I were buying vinyl, I’d rip it all and still carry it around with me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I try to always rip to FLAC if possible :smiley: