assorted ham radio thoughts

after the ham cram and getting my license, i want to record my amateur radio research somewhere!

awesome-radio

Continuing the discussion from Process the meta awesome list:

i really like this resource! thank you for calling our attention to it, @maiki!

one question i still have is… what is the difference between “CB” (citizens’ band) and “amateur radio” (ham radio)? is one a subset of the other?

i’m interested in learning more about the concept listed at the end of awesome-radio, “trunking.”

Trunking

While not strictly specific to public health and safety, it is usually the first thing that comes to mind when talking about trunked radio.

Trunked radio is a form of digital-two-way communication where multiple organizations can share a small spectrum of real frequencies without hearing another organizations conversations. A user can choose a logical channel or group and the base station will find an empty frequency to transmit on.

Links

Equipment rec

i butted into a conversation i overheard at DWeb Camp because someone was saying they wanted to set up radios next year. i told them i just got my technician’s license and needed My First Radio help. they recommended this specific model: Tri-Band Yaesu VX-6R Submersible Amateur Ham Radio Transceiver (144/222/440) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ESEW6C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QjGpDbT9T8FN5

note to self: find another supplier. they and i both are sorry that for now the link is an amazon link. it was the most convenient way for them to look up the specific model.

they said they take it backpacking.

unfortunately it’s $263. looks cool though, smaller than i thought, and … submersible?

i will be hamming it up with the dolphins soon!

1 Like

Despite not knowing much about radio, I spent some time learning about trunking. I don’t have anything to share, just that a “talkgroup” is a kind of grouping in a trunk system. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so a talkgroup is enabled by trunking? or maybe a type of trunking. or enabled by trunking.

what are words

A talkgroup is an assigned group on a trunked radio system. Unlike a conventional radio which assigns users a certain frequency, a trunk system takes a number of frequencies allocated to the system. Then the control channel coordinates the system so talkgroups can share these frequencies seamlessly. The purpose is to dramatically increase bandwidth. Many radios today treat talkgroups as if they were frequencies, since they behave like such. For example, on a radio scanner it is very common to be able to assign talkgroups into banks or lock them out, exactly like that of conventional frequencies.

It was this explanation (along with BART iconography) that made me land on this domain name. We bring in individual, distinct frequencies, and coordinate them into new conceptual channels, talkgroups. For anything, x, y, or z.

1 Like

when i search, the first links are for amazon and walmart. here is someone selling the model i want on ebay: Yaesu+VX-6R+Tri+Band+Submersible+Radio+Transceiver+-+Black for sale online | eBay for $269.95

i got the yaesu vx-6!

woah! my information can be found on many, many, MANY information aggretator sites, because the FCC publishes all licensee info.

One such site is repeaterbook dot com:

Call Sign Look-Up

KN6DCX

Name: Judy Tuan
Type: Person
Class: Technician
Expires: 07/17/2029
FCC Record: 0028406536

It’s confirmed! I am a person!

That’s kinda cool unless I didn’t want my full name out there, but I have it out there on many other websites so I guess I’m cool with it. I think some sites have my old address too sadly. The FCC also carries my address. Fortunately it’s out of date and if I update it, I’ll use a business address. lol.

Here’s another site, radioreference dot com, where you can find me in a list of all operators in my (old) zip code:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/ham/?action=search&zipcode=94609

1 Like

That’s cool! Coming up on my list is to look at radio tech. Since we rarely travel, and live on a hill, I was hoping to turn off general cell service and use walkie-talkies/radios (separately and combined) to communicate with folks around us. As part of building a resilient network.

So I’ll be hitting you up for details soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have the answers? :slight_smile:

I do not! Alas!

1 Like

There is an AmateurRadio SIG for Fedora:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AmateurRadio

Goal: To improve the Fedora collection by adding packages for Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) operators.

And related packages, of which there are many: SIGs/AmateurRadio/Packages - Fedora Project Wiki