Blogs and posts

I am going through the information architecture of a site for a client, and I realize that they use the word “blog” differently than I do.

According to Wikipedia:

A blog (a blend of the term web log) is a type of website or part of a website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

I am not trying to go against the flow of language change, or the acceptance of new terms, but there is a usage of the word that distracts me, and that is blog is used to refer a post. I think the pattern is limited web use. Some older folks, as well as less exposed or low-tech people tend to say something like, “oh yeah, I just wrote a blog” or, “I read all their blogs today”.

A blog is a collecting of nodes, at the very least, and I would suggest people call those nodes posts. Something witty is fine, but a blog is not an individual post.