chanterelle

I believe this came up in a Moomingvalley book, and I kept getting tongue-tied, so made a note to look it up.

Chanterelle is the common name of several species of fungi in the genera Cantharellus , Craterellus , Gomphus , and Polyozellus . They are among the most popular of wild edible mushrooms. They are orange, yellow or white, meaty and funnel-shaped. On the lower surface, underneath the smooth cap, most species have rounded, forked folds[1] that run almost all the way down the stipe, which tapers down seamlessly from the cap. Many species emit a fruity aroma, reminiscent of apricots, and often have a mildly peppery taste (hence its German name, Pfifferling ). The name chanterelle originates from the Greek kantharos meaning “tankard” or “cup”,[2][3] a reference to their general shape.

Yes, that’s what we want to know!

Etymology

Borrowed from French chanterelle , from New Latin cantharellus , diminutive of Latin cantharus (“drinking vessel”).

Pronunciation

• (UK) IPA(key): /ˈtʃæntəɹɛl/, /ʃɒntəˈɹɛl/

Noun

chanterelle ( plural chanterelles )

1. A widely distributed edible mushroom, Cantharellus cibarius , being yellow and trumpet-shaped; or any similar mushroom of the genera Cantharellus , Polyozellus or Gomphus , not all of which are edible.

Worth noting:

Etymology

From Latin cantharus , from Ancient Greek κάνθαρος (kántharos).

Noun

cantharus ( plural canthari )

1. A large drinking cup with two handles.
  2. A fountain or basin in the courtyard of an ancient church for worshippers to wash before entering.

Okay, this is all fine and well and very interesting, but how do I pronounce it?

• (UK) IPA(key): /ˈtʃæntəɹɛl/, /ʃɒntəˈɹɛl/

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I can normally figure these things out, but I’m drawing a blank.

How is “chanterelle” pronounced? And remember you can upload audio files. :slight_smile: