Companies that send me unsolicited email

I read all terms of service and privacy statements. If I can’t, I don’t sign up.

I double-check every form I fill out (I build forms for a living).

I don’t accidentally sign up for anything. It is intentional.

So when I get unsolicited email claiming I signed up for something, it’s bullshit. This is a log of such bullshit.

I got a survey email from a company called “Delighted”, haven’t visited by apparently at https://delighted.com/.

It was on behalf of Flywheel, a WordPress hosting company that’s been bought by someone, I forget. It is to an address that begins maiki+3cities, for a website I built over a decade ago.

Flywheel’s owner-entity is illegally sending me unsolicited email.

Worth reporting? https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=409&Url=%23%26panel1-5&SubCategoryID=18#crnt

I thought there was a theoretical way to get damages oneself but i can’t find it.

1 Like

I do report it to the FTC; I even used to forward spam with detailed backtraces. :nerd_face:

I’m trying this new approach of public shaming. Maybe folks will search and find their unsoliciter here with a link to the FTC and will complain in kind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can never tell if it is Yelp or someone posing as Yelp, but I know I will never have anything to do with that company, and they should never, ever email me.

Yelp the company is worse than most spammers, as they make scare-calls to real companies to convince them to “claim” their company’s profile or whatever.

Good Vibrations is a feminist, sex-positive shop, they sell sexy toys and associated things (what is that called? “Sex shop”? :thinking:).

I ordered something from them, and they shared my email address and my order with a third-party called Power Reviews, which sent me an email where all the links are over HTTP.

That means, though I did not agree to them using my email in any way outside our sales transaction, they shared my order history with a company that leaks this information all over the place.

WTF Good Vibrations?! I love your shop! We need sex-positive shops! Stop this marketing bullshit!

1 Like

When you sign up for a DigitalOcean account they automatically subscribe you to the following lists:

But we ought to expect this of DigitalOcean, since they also spam open source.

I just had to “adjust” spam preferences again on DigitalOcean. They suck at this.

Thinkcar Inc, https://mythinkcar.com/, somehow got my address and constantly adds it to lists, and despite my countless email to Mailchimp, they continue to send me email.

I’m a pedestrian, I have no interaction with Thinkcar. :roll_eyes:

I bought a keyboard from Sweetwater, and I did not opt-in to a newsletter. Today, several months later, they begin sending me newsletters with “deals”. This is unsolicited, and Sweetwater is not a reliable company.

A company called “Total Health Dental Care” (outreach@totalhealthdentalcare.com) apparently bought a dental clinic where I once visited, and sent me a mass mailing explaining it. I am now subscribed to a list in their system, as they give an option to unsubscribe at the bottom. Which means they just told their mailing list provider (Mailchimp) information about which medical facilities I use, which will be sold in aggregate as data.

Dr. Joyce Chi and Total Health Dental Care bought a dental office and sold my personal information.

I searched for a monitor today, and I followed a link to Newegg. Despite not being logged in on this computer, it apparently recognized my IP, and I got an email titled, “Our Best from Monitors”.

Da fuck! I ordered a battery replacement for my laptop, I certainly didn’t opt-in to this automated marketing bullshit. Newegg, you are supposed to be cool, what the fuck, yo?

Oh, and to unsubscribe, you go to a page and enter your email address. What kind of backwards victim-blaming mentality is this? I didn’t send me a marketing email unsolicited! Why must I share my info again?

Backetkit somehow assists users of crowdfunding platforms, such as Kickstarter. They opted me into updates for every project I supported, contributing to a very poor experience interacting with all those projects.

They send me unsolicited messages all the time, I think I will just block their domain…

NCSOFT sent me an email about some game they just launched. In the mail it says:

You are receiving this email because you have signed up to receive newsletters, updates, and offers from NCSOFT or Arena.net.

Arena.net makes Guild Wars, which I stopped playing a couple of years ago because they installed tracking software without permission and they fired two developers because of a Twitter argument, so it’s great they send me these reminder emails for me to share their history.

Or, they could stop emailing me.

I bought a book bundle from HumbleBundle and this morning I’ve got two messages trying to sell me stuff. WTF HumbleBundle? You activate marketing for people that stay away and then buy some books? Your marketing flow is harmful, fix it.

I just had to turn them off again. What the fuck, DigitalOcean? Why are you sending me spam, I obviously don’t want to attend your upsell conference, leave me alone!