Cyberpunk of my youth

After reading Ethical Cyberpunk I am inspired to note my changing feeling on cyberpunk over the years.

For me, mirrorshades and katana begin with Neuromancer. I was an unsure script-kiddie when I read it, though I was on the right path, already an advocate for accessible web design (which at that point meant not using tables in web layouts, but had important implications for all my future work). The appeal of it was that my interests would be important in the future. Also, Gibson writes drugs really well. Philip K. Dick well. Reading the Sprawl and Bridge trilogies was one long trip. It should be noted that it was enhanced by very real world chemicals. :slight_smile:

The next step for me was Ghost in the Shell. I used to think that I was a huge Shirow fan, but it is really based on the GITS multi-verse, including the movies, manga, show and novels. I like Appleseed as well, and I include it because while it doesn’t have all the trappings of cyberpunk as I think of it, it has all the elements that I respond to surrounding Section 9: self-doubt, existential crisis, balancing between autonomy and authority (and failing), and the question of whether information/knowledge is inherent to humanity, or belongs to our ultimate evolved forms (both as a species and individuals).

Concurrent to those observations was a fork of cyberpunk, like a splinter in the mind, in the form of the Matrix. With its Cartesian evil genius and exploration of multiple levels of control/reality/perception, it was basically a series of philosophy courses wrapped in slow motion and trench coats. And it introduced me to Jean Baudrillard.

At this point I should mention that “cyberpunk” as a genre is mostly mundane to me now. What I thought would be a timeless story framework has quickly diminished for me in the last decade. Not to say those artifacts don’t hold value, and indeed they are defining influences in my life. But our technology either caught up, or we found that the powers that be aren’t as all-powerful or evil, just immature and incompetent. And then there is Inception.

Walking out of the theater was a crushing realization for me, because Inception swiped the table clean of my virtual reality and cybernetic body totems, and in its place were the distilled themes that had always resonated with me, but more importantly, they had also resonated with humans since at least the beginning of recorded history, all symptoms of the human condition.

What am “I”? Why? What is the nature of reality, my mind and the interface between the two? The question of whether God can create a rock e can not lift has morphed into, “can humanity create a system that will supersede itself?”

I wouldn’t be surprised if cyberpunk is recognized as a flash-in-the-pan cultural movement, created to vent an entitled and homogenized society’s frustration about the uncertainty of how we will adapt to computer-mediated communications, but what do I know?

There is no spoon.