Discover Console Wars (book)

Continuing the discussion from Mode 7:

@trashheap says it is the Sega POV, which is both a flag and refreshing; Nintendo often feels like the Disney of console gaming, so knowing the slant is useful to explore the topic.

Book page

Specifically Sega of America. I mention this because the book explores the odd and sometimes tense relationship between Sega of America and Sega of Japan too. It tells a few stories and facts which don’t entirely line up with Sega of Japan’s side of the story. Like the bizarre tale of the removal of Sonic’s draft human girlfriend Madonna from Sonic the Hedgehog lore.

That slant became very interesting to me as I parsed the book.

1 Like

Oh, cool! I almost wrote Sega of America (as an internet pedant, I like that level of company specificity!), but I actually thought it wouldn’t matter. But I was wrong, and that is even more interesting!

On one hand I wish more people would pay attention to the companies we interact with. On the other hand, who has the time?!

Still, I love me some nostalgic drama, amirite? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is kinda what the book is about in a way. Successfully enough that there is some scuttlebutt of a live action mini series.

2 Likes

@trashHeap, where is this book available, digitally? Any good options?

Also!

Documentary

In 2016 the producers of BBC’s The Gamechangers secured the rights from Sony Pictures to develop a television documentary film inspired by the book, as part of a series of documentary films based on video game culture. In 2019, the project moved to CBS All Access.[1] It was to premiere at the SXSW event in March 2020, but due to the 2019-20 coronavirus pandemic, the SXSW event was cancelled.[2] The documentary complements the dramatized adaptation that was also announced.

Television drama series

Harris had support from Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg while writing the book, both of whom contributed to the book’s forward. In 2014, Rogen stated he was interested in turning the book into a movie under Sony Pictures, and had already secured the rights from Harris.[3] By November 2018, this project had transitioned to become a limited television series to be produced by Legendary Pictures with both Rogen and Goldberg serving as executive producers from their production company, Point Grey Pictures. Jordan Vogt-Roberts was slated to direct.[4] The series was picked up by CBS to be streamed via their CBS All Access service alongside the aforementioned documentary, though no release date has yet been announced.[1]

1 Like

Downpour.com has the audiobook DRM free. Thats how I consumed it I believe, as this was one of my “commute” books.

I’ve seen it pop up in Humble Bundle eBook bundles a lot. But I dont know a more reliable legit way of getting the text DRM free.