Friendica is a self-hosted social network, and apparently recently got ActivityPub support.
Things im mulling on:
- Friendica’s Activity Pub support looks good even if it is early.
- Friendica has as a design goal ease of deployability. It also doesn’t require any GNU/Linux specific technologies to do that either. (Docker). So I could throw it on a *BSD server easily.
- It can scrape twitter; which while I use rss-bridge for this, its more well suited for consuming microblog conversations than my RSS readers.
- Im thinking of instance hopping again; and just running off my own domain might insure this could be my last hop.
- Friendica has been around for a while it’s not going to evaporate anytime soon. I ran it before though that was a long time ago.
- It doesn’t seem to carry the social bagage that GNU Social and Pleroma have picked up by being abused by trolls, fascists and others. (Which Ive thought about GNU Social too and thats not too big of a consideration for me; but that baggage is something I have noticed in the Fediverse.)
Discover GNU Social
What lessons have you learned from hopping?
It’s was painless, especially for me; as I treat Fediverse conversations as disposable. (All of my Mastodon content is set to self destruct in three months as a general rule.)
I lost little to zero followers I cared about. Which was my main concern.
Quality of people in the local feed is very important to me. Though not as important as my actual follow list. That being said Ive come to the conclusion of rather not having a local feed than one I don’t click with.
Codes of conduct are pretty important to me when checking out new instances.
I think the whole “Mastodon instances for people with specific interests” is both a very good strength for Mastodon and leads me to a little bit of choice paralisis when selecting an instance. In that I don’t like defining myself in terms of one primary hobby or instance and don’t want a plethera of accounts.
There are a few groovy Mastodon instances who have temporarily closed for new signups that I wish would open for new signups allready. I would have gone to seem of them over my current instance; but wouldn’t have thought about Friendica recently if they had.
Yep, Mastodon is digital chaff.
That’s why I was excited for Nextcloud Social: install an app, start federating (socially, it already uses AP for file sharing)!
I mostly use Mastodon to funnel folks here, where the good stuff happens, long form discussion, tweaky web tech, and political gamers. I love it!
To do: check if friendica has self-expiring posts as a feature
It claims to. I plan on using it that way. If I have time this weekend after the MajiMonsters game, I might set up my instance.