Does anyone know about.. ClockworkPi?

I saw this today and was intrigued, has anyone heard anything good or bad about it?

Heard of it first go round when they were crowdfunding, and I was a little skeptical that they would materialize. Something didn’t click for me in their approach. I thought they were going to have trouble materializing despite honest intentions.

Was a happy surprised when reviews started materializing and they proved me wrong. But because of it, I am pretty ignorant on them as a project. Ive heard good rumblings on them.

Cortex-A7 is in the Allwinner family. So in terms of FLOSS it’s got the same binary blobs in the OS as most everything else in this space. Binary blobs will be mandatory for 3d acceleration. 2d acceleration and video acceleration mostly reverse engineered at this point and have even been mostly mainlined in the kernel.

https://linux-sunxi.org/A20#Cortex-A7

What’s your use case? Education or gaming? Or both?

1 Like

Use case is gaming for sure. I’m really fascinated about it’s ability to run Love2D games. (that is my goto for 2d game dev).

It would be really fun to make a game that works well everywhere, but is designed primarily for that open source handheld.

A lot of the raspberryPi handhelds in this space have have linux distros built on retropie which also ships native Love2d support. GameShell has a educational bent, but in terms of handheld love2d dev platforms their are a lot of good choices.

There are enough of these kinds of handhelds emergenging. Id almost recommend picking the architecture / SoC / Single Board Computer you wanna deep dive on, and then pick the handheld that is based on that ecosystem.

I know similar RaspberryPi / OrangePi / Odroid solutions, and im wondering if we wont see a Pine64 style device in this space, after their cool retro console stylized thing materializes.

3 Likes