February 21, 2019

Still in this mandatory intro to gnu/linux course. I don’t understand the pacing of the course at all. We spent like 30 minutes on regular expressions, and 20 minutes on vi. Yet we are in day two of ‘useradd’.

Still feeling under the weather but im trying to barrel through and just behave as if I have energy; hoping some of my lethargy is psychosomatic.

3 Likes

Anyone can master RegEx in 30 minutes, but useradd is serious stuff.

:smile:

2 Likes

Today the Oakland Teachers are on strike, so is Clover. We went to Japantown, SF.

The Finds

The mall in Japantown is 50 years old. If you walk a couple blocks in any direction you’ll find historical plaques that explain the history of the neighbourhood, which is fascinating.

Giant ramune?! You can tell because of the rockbiter holding the bottle!

Kinokuniya has these little things kits, which I think would be fun for me to geek out on Clover’s doll house.

Now they have these little paper theater things, which appeal to me in all the ways as Gundam models, but without a repulsion to building a small military shrine!

Fabriano makes a dot-grid book that is approximately the dimensions as the master pad from Braon Fig, and they sell them at Flax, so I can support a local art supply company and not have notebooks shipped to me to get the writing experience I want and it comes in orange and I don’t get to buy new notebooks until I’ve used the ones I have.

I discovered the camera app in LineageOS has filters and stuff. I never used that part of photo culture, so it’s a dumb novel thing I do when I send photos of Susan to Susan. :slight_smile:

The AC Transit Transbay J! Double-bus! I want to ride it!

Here’s a great photo of Susan having just made Clover crack up; I love it when kids just get tickled by some thing a person said in passing!

2 Likes

today was hard. i am sad because it’s really difficult to maintain continuity from day to day. it’s no one’s fault, and we have excellent volunteers who give their time and brainpower to curriculum-making! we hust have to scramble right now because some lessons assume mysql and others assume postgres and others assume sqlite3. it’s not bad, i just have to be firm when i decide on a drastic change to a day.

2 Likes

I wanted to post this separate, as it shows, The Pervy Side of Daiso!:tm:

First of all, there is an “adult toy” section, which is attached to children’s toys, so it really means stuff you’d find in a pharmacy’s discount holiday bin: wigs, makeup kits, a plastic swan sleeve for your dick, glasses shaped like the current year, inflatable breast for men, fake blood and capes.

Oh, were you paying attention to what I listed? You want proof?! Sounds reasonable.

So glad one was hung up as a demo, in case it wasn’t clear that is a plastic swan sleeve for your dick.

I’m putting this here, but I’m sure one day an entire tutorial will emerge from this ditch my brain just fell in.

1 Like

in the very helpful illustration, there’s a hand grasping what i believed at first to be hairy balls, but which i have now determined to be stylized wings, or the beginnings of wings. yes?

I believe the technical term is, “feather balls”.

1 Like

what is the appropriate emoji for :bird: :8ball: :8ball: s?

1 Like

Hahahaha, we are gonna make a swan dick sock emoji set!