https://yap.chat/

a place for friends

yap is an ephemeral, real-time chat room with up to six participants. your messages appear and disappear as quickly as you type them, which means unless you pay attention to what everyone says (for once), you’ll miss it. after creating a room, you can embed a piece of media (a video, a website, or something else) for your group to discuss or just shoot the sh*t.

I’ll be in this room today if anyone wants to play around with this:

1 Like

The description reminds me of talk (software) - Wikipedia, an app I used extensively. Also, I loved how the chat in the Warcraft 2 lobby worked: I think it was one line for each person (so six or eight?), and it only showed their last sent line. It looked like disjointed language art. :slight_smile:

screen + talk was amazing in some of the janky networks i administered way back when. better then when people decided to write things that drove you up the wall

1 Like

ICQ had a realtime feature where you could be in a room with friends and watch each other type, like with screen. it totally blew my mind in the computer lab at de anza college, where we’d go after C class. others played Worms. i never understood it except for the hallelujah bomb.

2 Likes

OMG I had forgotten I took a C class. The overwhelming dread washed over me for a second… I did not like that class at the time.

(I wish I could take one now though, I’d get a lot more out of it)

2 Likes

OMFG, the sad truth I just realized is that while I have a 5-digit ICQ number, I only ever talked to one other person with it. Sheesh, that was not useful for me!

1 Like