I am a Mozilla Employee, AMA

Context for this, is the recent mozilla layoffs and refocusing of Mozilla’s internal teams, which has gotten a lot of (probably fair) criticism.

1 Like

As an aside, one reason why Mozilla continues to invest in Gecko is that we believe that this is the most effective way to continue having influence on standards. After all, if you’re just using an engine controlled by somebody else, why should the standards committees give a hoot what you think?

Word on the street is that Microsoft already has lost significant standards clout since switching over to Chromium, and that Google isn’t willing to share control over Chromium with Microsoft. Grab your popcorn, folks!

Ooh! So juicy! I’d love to hear more of that drama! :slight_smile:

I’ve never really understood what made Mozilla shelve the FirefoxOS / Boot2gecko effort towards a free mobile operating system.

Resources, resources, resources.

We basically mortgaged the quality and performance of Gecko to make FxOS happen, and it did not end well. Project Quantum was more or less an effort to pay off that tech debt.

We were sad to see it go, but are happy to see that the torch was picked up by other organizations. It lives on as KaiOS, and have come full circle now that they have partnered with us to port modern Gecko over to it.

KaiOS!