clover asked for one as soon as she saw her mama’s, and i had just found this tiny 2014 moleskine diary that had sufficient blank pages that it went to burning man with me in 2015 for notes lol… so i gutted it and pasted in new paper!
i used red thread from an ancient sewing kit i’ve had for many years, and waxed it a little with the same blob i dug out of a candle from @annietuna that i used for susan’s, haha. you don’t neeeed to use waxed thread but it makes it easier cuz waxing it makes it tangle less.
tool comparisons because the little bookbinding kit arrived:
the leather needle is thicker so you have to be more careful not to pull knots through the paper. i sorta liked using just a regular sewing kit needle more. some things were easier with the thicker needle, like running the stitch through the previous segment, but that would be even easier with a curved needle (or so they say on video tutorials).
using the awl is better than using a thumbtack. it works better because it’s sharper, and it hurts my fingers leas.
using the bone folder is better than my fingernail and my plastic water bottle. haha
cutting rounded edges with scissors instead of punching was not better, even though the scissors are better than my scissors. it’s still way better to use the puncher, even though it takes soooooo long haha.
susan’s did not need glue–i just stitched through the cover and the middle signature (since there were five, an odd number). this was a little bit imperfect because then there were two layers of stitching in signature 3. it still folded okay so i let it go haha. clover’s needed glue to attach it to the moleskine cover. i reused their end papers, so i did not have to mess with binding (besides just binding the signatures together). i used a little too much glue so the papers are a little warped. it’s okay. the glue brush is very helpful.
moleskine’s paper is thinner than printer paper, so i used only eight signatures (so 64 pages) to moleskine’s ten (so theirs was 80 pages). i just kept adding signatures and holding it inside until it felt full.
i folded a piece of 8.5x11" printer paper in half three times to start. then i cut the edges to trim it down to the right size and as a happy accident i realized if i cut it on the correct edge, it would cut the pages apart too. so i cut one down to 2.5" and the other to 148cm lol. that gave me four pages, perfect for a single signature of eight pages. i messed up one signature when i folded it in half lengthwise/hot dog first instead of hamburger, and after the cut some of my pages were landscape (with the fold on the smaller edge), instead of portrait.
i’m still having trouble making a clean cut with the rotary cutter so the edges are a bit raw, but it adds to the bespoke charm i guess. it really did have to be cut down though.
i know how much susan and clover love their red jackets, and i’m hoping this notebook is so tiny it can fit in a clover jacket pocket!
hm maybe it ought to have a tiny loop for a tiny pencil. it could go with the lazy bear pencil i got when i used to go to pretentious expensive dinners. hahahah