I, witness: the Crocodile

Clover and I are writing a story. We witnessed an amazing story, and now it is up to you to ask us questions so you can learn more about what happened. We will respond by updating the story.

Clover and I have the attention span of a six year-old, so please ask one, relatively simple question per ask. :slight_smile:

The story so far…

Once upon a time there lived a crocodile that loved jelly. Aside from jelly, the crocodile’s main interest involved trains. In fact, this crocodile had four sets of toy trains!

When the crocodile was young it visited Russia. The cold and sometimes snowy landscape of Russia was a stark contrast to the crocodile’s native Dominican Republic. The trip was so delightful, it was all the crocodile could talk about upon returning home to its salty lake, and it would spend hours each day talking to its iguana and flamingo friends about how one day it take a train all the way across Russia in just one week!

At 8AM on a Monday morning, the crocodile started that very journey.

We know the departure time, as the crocodile kept a travel log of departures and arrivals. The logbook was a unique note system the crocodile had reverse-engineered after viewing an exhibit on Marcel Proust’s notebooks. It is very colorful, full of timetables, quick drawings, jams stains, and ticket stubs.

While it seemed chaotic and thrown together, knowing the correct tab to pull or sheet to unfold, and the logbook would reveal its fascinating journey (remember: the logbook had been everywhere the crocodile had; it is a shared adventure!) as with a colorful, jumbled and not-at-all-to-scale map puzzled together.

The first part of the trip was illustrated as a huddled group of shapes in brilliant colors of crayon. In each was the face of an animal friend, so the crocodile could remember where they all lived. In a small paper pocket was a bunched up ticket from a large cruise ship.

The destination on the ticket said St. Petersburg, and we believe that the case. We are afraid we may disagree on some of the details of the boat trip.

For instance, there was a hilarious selfie of the crocodile smiling with sunglasses, while in the background there are dolphins leaping in the air as they raced along side the ship. That photo explains the beautiful watercolor painting of a dolphin against a sunset, accented with bits of jam.

On the other hand, there is a dotted red line that not only goes around the Western coast of Iceland, but also loops around Svalbard! We don’t know of any cruise line taking such a route, but we did hear that a cruise ship had been caught in an ice storm somewhere in the Baltic Sea. That would probably explain all the crocodile tears on this section of the map.

Along the left side of the had a pile of tickets and receipts held together by an arrangement of staples, paper clips and even one glittering brooch. We discerned the order they were attached and determined the crocodile had a confusing if not adventurous day in St. Petersburg before finally getting a ticket for a bus to Moscow, where the train trip would begin!

The bus trip went by fairly uneventful, at least from the perspective of the crocodile, who almost immediately fell asleep! It was a gust of cold air from the open bus door that woke the crocodile from a deep and restful sleep. Everyone was departing the vehicle and getting their luggage, and the crocodile’s luggage was the heaviest!

This worried the crocodile at first, because it meant it couldn’t bring as many jars of jelly as it wanted. In fact, we are surprised to report, the crocodile brought a single jar of plum jelly for the entire trip!

This was a deliberate choice for the crocodile. Many times when one vacations they tend to bring along with them a certain amount of anxiety. It is understandable, as adventures often take us our of our comfort zones. The crocodile decided to not worry about the jelly situation in Russia and instead focused on the experiences of international travel!

Why did the crocodile cross Russia on a train?

1 Like

When the crocodile was young it visited Russia. The trip was so delightful the crocodile dreamed of visiting again one day.

:slight_smile:

Clover and I encourage folks to act as proxies for their kids to ask questions as well. :slight_smile:

What flavors of jelly, if any, did the crocodile bring along for the journey?

2 Likes

The crocodile’s luggage was very heavy! This worried the crocodile at first, because it meant it couldn’t bring as many jars of jelly as it wanted. In fact, we are surprised to report, the crocodile brought a single jar of plum jelly for the entire trip!

Where is the Crocodile from (not-Russia is implied)?

1 Like

The cold and sometimes snowy landscape of Russia was a stark contrast to the crocodile’s native Dominican Republic. The trip was so delightful, it was all the crocodile could talk about upon returning home to its salty lake, and it would spend hours each day talking to its iguana and flamingo friends about how one day it take a train all the way across Russia in just one week!

We got a lot of extra details there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful details. I did not know there is a below sea level lake in DR! Or (tangent) that the 2010 Haiti earthquake was on the Enriquillo-Plantain Garden fault, the latter part of the name also the only river in Jamaica that doesn’t flow north or south.

I can’t help but notice so far that the questions are about the words so far, not about what happens, i.e., progressing the story. Surely there is a term for that.

How did the crocodile travel from their salty lake home to wherever in Russia their train trip began?

What did the crocodile see on it’s way to Russia?

I think we cover those in the latest update. I just read it over and noticed some missing words and such, but we aren’t really editing the story yet, so…

Check out that last edit! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is the glittering brooch something the crocodile has always had, or did it acquire it somehow in St. Petersburg? What colors does the brooch glitter? Is the brooch on a pin, and is the crocodile using the pin to hold some of the tickets and receipts together?

Did the crocodile find more jelly or taste new jellies on the way? Where is the crocodile now?

1 Like

We are thinking about how to conclude this chapter of the story! We will be answering @judytuna questions, and then editing it a bit.

When we started this, Clover was barely sounding out letters on eir own. Now e reads alone for hours, so this will be a new experience for us moving forward. :slight_smile:

Clover has hinted… “iguana going to France, and love”!

1 Like