talkgroup

In the beginning... a filesystem

I finally combined years and dozens of devices’ storage into a single filesystem. Now I can do something with it.

For instance, occasionally I will track down the oldest file I have, and process it.

:exploding_head:

find . -type f -printf '%T+ %p\n' | sort | head -n 1
2003-06-17+21:30:40.0000000000 ./games/gamecube/soalegends.gcm

That’s Skies of Arcadia: Legends! It started with some music, and a discussion, and then I played a whole bunch of it! It’s pretty fun. I want to write about it, because it is like the ultimate Final Fantasy 7 fan remix! So. Many. Ways. #skies-of-arcadia

Clover has shown interest in playing it with me, which seems like an okay idea, since the content is fairly kept in check, the violence is cartoony and not emphasized, the controls are simple, and there’s a fair amount of grind (and if I can’t make my kid grind RPGs for me, what’s even the point?!).

I think that timestamp is so old is because I obviously legally ripped that file from a disc so many years and stored it that way.

:sunglasses:

2006-06-24+05:46:42.0000000000 ./music/BT/Ima/1-04 Embracing The Future (Embracing The Sunshine Mix).mp3

Oh, wow. This is totally me. I’ve carried those mp3s with me, even though I swore off the format decades ago. It’s because “Ima” is that good. I’m a fan of BT, actually. All their stuff is really neat, hits a part of my mind in this particular way.

I was turned on to Ima pre-9/11, by lucifex. It was an amazing come down album, from a high/rave/whatever.

For me it was part of a spiritual experience I had on a snow-boarding trip with Cupcake, where I did a silly thing and mildly concussed myself. I listened to Ima while driving down the mountain in a 300ZX holding one hand in the air so e knew I was still conscious. I definitely met some perspectives of myself for the first time…

As for these files, I happen to have several FLAC versions of the album, so that’s what I’m going to put into place. This is great timing:

1. I’m very familiar with the album, having listened to it on a variety of devices over the years, and
  2. I’m been wanting to test “transparency” between FLAC and Opus files.

I’m gonna create several versions of lossy formats and compare on my current setup, and see where the sweet spot is for practical music storage. I’ll post about this in #mediaclub. :slight_smile:

2006-09-04+16:25:56.0000000000 ./music/Ghost In The Shell Tribute Category_Techno Style/04 Latin Lover.mp3

Oh snap, GITS music! For the longest time Ghost in the Shell-related music was a substantial amount of my musical library. :slight_smile:

Have we discussed Ghost in the Shell? I have so much to say.

That particular track, Latin Lover, it’s pretty terrific, and always reminds me of a particular faction in Neocron, because its theme music has a similar feel. It was one of the techy factions, they had labs.

I’m sure I have these tracks in FLAC. Time to track them down! :slight_smile:

OMG, @susan, eventually we’ll get to Yoko Kanno! :sunglasses:

2006-09-14+10:57:48.0000000000 ./books/rpg/fate/spirit-of-the-century/EvilHat-SpiritOfTheCentury-Regular.pdf

Spirit of the Century!

This is the “pulp adventure” setting/book from Evil Hat. It uses an older edition of Fate, which have sense been waaaaay refined, and also the storyline for SofC was moved forward in interesting ways, including a “darker timeline” 80s settings.

I also happen to have a hard copy of Young Centurions, which I think happens in the 1910s…?

Anyhow, I never played SotC proper. Rather, I played in a really interesting game that was “Sword and Sandal”, taking place in historical Rome with monsters from beyond space and time. The neat thing was it being run by a person who used to teach high school Latin and had studied in Rome and was way into it!

I don’t recall anyone from that group, but it was pretty fun: one of them made miniature buildings and sold them on ebay (for other gamers that uses such props), and one the storyteller always brought a couple six packs of homebrew beer… it was really fun!

Hmmm, RPG books. Wonder how I’m gonna store those? :thinking:

2007-05-04+14:48:43.0000000000 ./projects/vagrant/vagrant-local/www/wordpress-default/wp-includes/js/crop/cropper.js

Huh. I suspect that is a very old file because it was imported from a template with timestamps intact, during use by Vagrant.

I used to develop use a thing called Variable Varying Vagrants (or very close to that), aka VVV. I was easy to set up WordPress sites for local dev, but I could never get it to update correctly. I suspect it worked well for Mac users.

Anyhow… projects/vagrant is 51,101 items, totalling 849.2 MB OMFG I’ve just been carrying that around?! :roll_eyes:

Haha, I just heard Strongbad in my head, “Wow, that’s really gre- DELETED!”

2008-06-01+15:39:25.0000000000 ./docs/1mr/main/wp-content/themes/simplr/404.php

This is a WordPress theme template for the 404 page. But it sits in a directory that is a backup for 1mr, or “One More Robot”, a short-run webcomic about 5 people living together; it was based on our conversations, with additional characterization happening in-verse.

And wow, were we cool! Kimi made us emblem graphic things and all!

omr_about_zone

omr_about_patience

omr_about_maiki

omr_about_magnolia

omr_about_brainpan

I’ll post more at one more robot. :slight_smile:

2008-08-21+23:35:50.0000000000 ./projects/wp-stuff/plugins/geo-mashup.1.12.0/geo-mashup/images/geotag_16.png

Ah, Geo Mashup! I love this plugin, it reads the geo fields in WordPress and builds embedded web maps! I use it extensively in my work, you can see it (with Google Maps) at:

I’ve been meaning to write up a page for it for a while (Discover Geo Mashup).

Hey, WordPress is 17 years old. Geo Mashup is apparently at least 12. Neat!

I used to store my plugins and themes in a directory called wp-stuff, but I don’t any longer. If it is free like Geo Mashup I’ll clone the VCS repo. Otherwise I just let whatever updating/subscription service handle it, because that’s how the WordPress ecosystem works and it’s weird.

Oh yeah, I’m sure there’s probably #geo-mashup already. :slight_smile:

2008-10-27+16:12:28.0000000000 ./dl/496_RPG_icons/W_Sword001.png

Hey, RPG icons!

496_RPG_icons.zip (1.5 MB)

These are the icons from 496 pixel art icons for medieval/fantasy RPG | OpenGameArt.org

What should we do with these?!