Ink refill log

I’d like to have a sense of how fast I go through 3 ounces of ink. The current Lamy Safari pen has a converter, and I crank it once all the way, which half fills it.

1 Like

First fill just now. This bottle didn’t look like it lost any ink… :slight_smile:

I gave @susan and Clover a refill demo and properly filled the pen this time.

1 Like

So… about five days before a refill. Nice!

It isn’t empty, but I notice the ink running thinner all around, so good to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

five days is all it took?! wow! i’m impressed!

my ink clog problems were likely due to keeping ink in there for 8 months and not using it up. if you use it up that fast, even my particle-filled ocean bleu ink wouldn’t pose a problem. you sounded kind of anti-particle, though =)

if you’re using the same ink, i figure it’s fine to refill even before it’s out. interesting that it’s running thinner. you’d think with a visible amount of ink left in the converter, the consistency wouldn’t change. i wonder what affects it. is it the gravity from more ink? is it pressure, whether from the ink or from the air in the cartridge? i’ve read that if you’re changing altitudes, it’s better to fill your pen up all the way to minimize air (or have no ink, haha)

Nah, just want to keep it simple. My note scratches are disposal, I’ll save the pretty particles for note cards or something. :slight_smile:

I think that with the angle I write, when the reservoir gets low less ink is going down. When holding it upright the reservoir is designed to show how much ink is in the window, and not to give an absolute sense of what remains. The pen is clear, so we see more, but with a solid pen I think my experience makes more “sense”.

1 Like

i’m really pleased that the pen is clear and we are nerds!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Clear is the best plastic

Filled up today. Hadn’t been writing as much, but noticed ink running thin while half the reservoir was full.

@susan observed it may just coat the plastic inside, and the output is the more important indicator.

I uses to try to get as much ink as possible before discarding the cartridge. Without that guilt, I can have nice lines all the time now!

1 Like

Refill. Continue to not dowse myself in ink. :cool:

1 Like

Wow, I should note that despite having rarely filled the pen, I’m halfway through a second notebook. I’m writing a lot more now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i love this! isn’t it funny how that unlocked you to write more?

i’m writing more but not a lot more, yet. we’ll get there. wonder what still has me locked.

1 Like

I’m off my pace here: I got a new pen at the pen faire and have been using it and a new ink (which I will post about soon) and filled it last Saturday! So now we know for when I refill it, which may be soon.

The pen I got? A Lamy Vista… aka the same one @judytuna has! It has a medium nib, and we are science-ing this, so more detailed notes to come. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, I should have taken a photo of the reservoir before refilling just now: it looked full!

I suspect the Crystal Obsidian ink is coating the converter walls completely, as to make the window useless. But it just ran out of ink, no matter what I did.

I don’t wait for it to run out to refill normally, so I’m used to pushing out a bit of ink when I wind down the converter. When I did it this time no ink came out. It was empty, but looked full…

Not the worst issue. Kinda funny, actually. But notable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Refilled, though I think I probably had “half a tank” left. I was testing how well I could see through the ink in full sunlight.

Not very. :smile:

1 Like

Refilled. I might just make it a Saturday thing.

This Crystal Obsidian is really nice, I love it, but it makes the reservoir window useless. I hadn’t filled it in a while, and today it just ran out. No more ink.

I see I went two weeks without refilling it this time. :thinking:

Ink suddenly ran out, refilled. Today I noticed the level in the ink bottle getting lower. Not bad! I recalled how much I dreaded my ink cartridges running dry.

Not sure what I’m gonna do during a trip… now I need a backup pen! :nerd:

1 Like

Refilled, crystal obsidian.

2 Likes

Refilled. The crystal obsidian is starting to look lower. Not bad! Even this “expensive” one lasts so much longer than cartridges for me. :slight_smile: