Install a new OS on my Chromebook Pixel

Hrmm… I flashed the full coreboot build provided by the mrchromebox.tech site on a Thinkpad 11e and it seems mostly bricked.

I say mostly, in that I got it to briefly boot the new firmware, when I disconnecting it from battery power and tried just on AC. But haven’t been able to repeat it.

Im going to poke at it some more. Part of me insists that if it booted once it can do so again, there is just something funky in the chromebook power-up sequence im just not groking.

The other part of me is relieved after a night of picking away at one, that I picked a throw away sub $60 ebay chromebook for this experiment; and wants to take it a lesson learned just not to use chromebooks, even if to de-lobotomize them.

I also in theory have the equipment to get at the bios chip and reprogram it by brute force. But Lenovo made some of these internals harder to get to than I first realized, compared to the laptops I normally work with. Though, I don’t see much point for me in reverting the firmware back to ChromeOS at this poin either. Hrmm…

1 Like