Is inform7, et al., textmode?

I don’t have a lot of experience playing IF after the 90s. I now realize that was a very long time ago. So, would IF and games made by inform7 be considered textmode? :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, i think so!

1 Like

All inform games are primarily textmode. Though some games include (optional) graphics and sound. So a purists definition of textmode, would probably cause them to straddle the fence.

Textmode though is probably good for our (and most people’s) purposes.

1 Like

How about mpd or cmus? Commandline audio software. Do folks consider those types as part of the textmode ascetic?

Mpd is kinda tricky in that it is a daemon, with no native UI. UIs talk to it to make music/sound happen. If mpd is textmode networkmanager is textmode and that strikes my gut as strange. Nmcli has a textmode UI but the daemon NetworkManager does not.

cmus strikes my gut as belonging. Because I think at the end of the day we’re talking about UI or default UI.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought the same thing, and I wanted to examine this from that angle, to try to tease out the nuance. :slight_smile:

Making my warez list I realized I didn’t have a reason to collect all the warez in one place, but plenty reason to make distinct lists. textmode warez seems useful.