It's happening! Hosting a Minetest server, what kinda game should we make?

We are going to have a Minetest server! Yay!

I’ve spun one up before, and know how it goes. The difficult part is: what to build?!

A “game” in minetest is a collection of mods applied to a base template (such as the default “Minetest Game”).

Out of the gate it is a mob-less voxel crafter. No real dangers, just a lot of blueprints for the expected tools to build wood and stone and stuff.

But there are tons of mods, and of course full on computer programming systems.

So… what do we want for our first Minetest server? :slight_smile:

Also, it might just be okay to have a “vanilla” server, to play with. And I’ve been known to easily reset servers or start a drastically different thing, if we want to experiment. :slight_smile:

1 Like
[maiki@lime ~]$ time flatpak install flathub net.minetest.Minetest
Looking for matches…
Required runtime for net.minetest.Minetest/x86_64/stable (runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/19.08) found in remote flathub
Do you want to install it? [Y/n]: Y

net.minetest.Minetest permissions:
    network   pulseaudio   x11   devices

ID                                        Branch           Op           Remote            Download
 1. [✓] net.minetest.Minetest.Locale              stable           i            flathub            4.0 kB / 1.2 MB
 2. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale           19.08            i            flathub           16.7 kB / 318.3 MB
 3. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform                  19.08            i            flathub           41.4 MB / 238.5 MB
 4. [✓] net.minetest.Minetest                     stable           i            flathub           11.7 MB / 15.4 MB

Installation complete.

real	3m51.761s
user	0m9.425s
sys	0m4.760s

Flatpak and I’ll never need to update it again (practically, because of background updates).

:sunglasses:

I’ve returned and returned to this process, but I can’t figure out how to get a Minetest server running. Something about the ports, firewalls, package containers… something isn’t picking up the connection from the client, and I’m gonna take a break trying to figure it out. If someone on here gets Minetest running as a server, let me know. :slight_smile:

1 Like