Make warez directory

I have this idea to create a directory of every piece of warez I interact with, hard-, soft-, or otherwise. I am not even sure what that looks like! I want features and anti-features, and probably different stats based on the type of object it is.

To motivate myself, I am going to start dropping links to warez I find worthy of commentary, here. Maybe it will inspire someone (me?!1) to build the directory. :slight_smile:

Goals:

[*] Template for warez section
[*] Initial warez publish

A post was split to a new topic: Discover Open Shot

A post was split to a new topic: Discover tridactyl-vim

A post was split to a new topic: Discover styl-us

A post was split to a new topic: Discover uMatrix

A post was split to a new topic: Discover justwrite

A post was split to a new topic: Discover mastodon backup

Content repo is at interi/warez - warez - allthe.codes. Layout templates will be added to interi/web-layouts: Web layouts for https://interi.org. - web-layouts - allthe.codes.

The data at Inform 7 - #3 by trashHeap is very complete, so I’m gonna use it to model front matter, see what should be strings and what should be referenced elsewhere in the site. I plan to load up more front matter over time, and this will let me add more quests to add new sections that expand on the data we capture here. :slight_smile:

Name: Inform 7

title, will base URL/slug off this

We have a list: Dead/Healthy/Abandoned/Maintained/Security Patches Only

We’ll stick with just those, open to refinement (and text search/replace) later.

Release Schedule/Cycle: Inconsistent

We’ve discussed using VCS data to show updated info; we just updated allthe.codes so we can list commit info straight from our mirrors! Aside from that tidbit, though, I think this is best free form. In my experience, projects that talk about release schedules either have one specific model in mind, or change it often enough it is discussed.

Big aside: always looking for prior art, so if some other directory is using a “standard” or common set of attributes, please point it out!

License: The core compiler is (currently) proprietary and is planned to shift to Artistic 2.0 with planned Bison like code generation clause. The various OS specific IDEs are GPLv3.

I’m definitely collecting licenses! I’ve noted the various license lists, with their initialisms, and we’ll figure it out here. But I’m leaning towards the verbose. And each one will eventually generate a link to a data page of that license, and the license text will be published somewhere on interi.

Is license OSI/FSF/DFSG approved ? Not today.

This will be programmatically resolved from license data. Meaning I may forget it, but it will be an easy add later. :slight_smile:

Runtime: Inform 7 executes as native code but outputs Glulxe or ZMachine VM.

…
:thinking:
@trashHeap, are runtimes… platforms? :grimacing:

What is a generalized list of runtimes, with five examples?

Widgets: Output is text based. IDE is Gtk3 / Cocoa / Windows Forms.

:thinking:

Platforms: GNU/Linux (badly supported) , Windows , Mac OS X.

Not sure if it will be called “platforms”, but somemthing that will generate a different directory. What do other directories call these? OS?

Build System: Unknown

This is like GCC/make? (cribbing from SGDK)

Hahaha, this one is gonna be weird. Not because of inform, but because of how I’m gonna handle this. Basically, any URLs that are shown are either non-linked strings (easy to copy and paste), or links to a profile page for said link, on interi. Because I’m going to exhibit URIs. And rate them on safety. It’s gonna be a whole thing! :grimacing:

I also intend to have a DNS section, with domain breakdowns in the path (ie a page will be at https://interi.org/dns/org/interi, https://interi.org/dns/xyz/talkgroup, etc.)

Not sure how that will interact, but I wouldn’t mind do entire domain manipulations; for instance, for each page in the .org domains, link to the EFF page about the .org sale, that kinda thing. Or link to a domain’s country page, so folks know the meaning behind their “cool” .ly or .io domains.

Repository: Somewhere near: ganelson (Graham Nelson) · GitHub

Not all pages will have repos, and for those that do we’ll have a “home” repo, but only link to a mirror if we are hosting it. If we identify other VCS hosts, we can mark them approved links as well.

Function: Compiler / Programming Language / Natural Language Processor

@trashHeap: free form, or we make a big ol’ list? :slight_smile:

Online Required: No
DRM & Type of DRM: None

I wonder if these could be “features”, a “tag” taxonomy. They won’t apply to all warez, but when they do it is very important.

Last known price: Gratis

I’d love to do some kind of price comparison, but only because I think such data is available. But I’m not sure I care or find it useful; I don’t pay directly for code, I’m not sure how it all works. Open to suggestions for how this should be structured in data form (a number, a number and currency, a description [gratis, cheap, shareware, holy shit enterprise]).

Publisher: N/A

When filled out this should be a full group name, which will link to the groups directory.

Studio / Lead Dev: Graham Nelson

Might use nested front matter to do something like:

people:
  leaddev:
groups:
  publisher:
  studio:

We aren’t “tagging” these pages, per se. But we are relating data that exists, and then linking to it where appropriate.

Package types available: Flatpak is the only option for most GNU/Linuxes currently.

Huh, I didn’t know inform7 was available via flatpak, and I sought out such info. :grimacing:

warez packaging will be fun to document! We will even list stuffit eventually!

Initial year it became available: 2006 for Inform 7 , 1993 for all prior versions of Inform. Inform 7 is a very different programming language though than from what came before.

Inform may also have a place in the languages exhibit. And some of this info will be applicable there. Language evolution between versions feels like a language specific thing, aside from “warez”.

Governance Model: Dictator for life.

We got a list of models?

I picked inconsistent with Inform 7 because it it’s somewhere in between maintaned and dead currently. It’s gone for half decades between releases. Making Debian look speedy. MIGHT be worth differentiating.

A lot of Warex doesn’t have clean or any VCS info still. Or exists across multiple VCSes like OS releases. (Though im muddy. Did we decide OSes are a special/seperate kind of Warez?)

• libc / native
  • Java
  • .Net
  • Glulxe
  • Love2d

When we’re talking PCs we tend to talk OS, but when we are talking game consoles people usually speak in terms of Platforms.

Specficially specifically the make part of that half. Others might include jam, cmake, qmake, waf.

Im find either way. I think we’ve discussed this elsewhere, and I had said if we want a list. To maybe lift a package manager’s taxonomy or tags. Like say Debian’s. Debian -- Overview of available Debian Package Tags

Agreed. Would be nice if we could maybe store some generalized ways of breaking specific subtypes of DRM, and then easily cross reference them with Warez.

Kinda like the later. gratis/cheap/shareware/holy-shit-enterprise.

Only semi unofficially. The flatpak also needs some massaging after install. It depends on a lot of gtk2 and webkit1 infrastructure for the IDE and helpfiles. And it’s aged out of most distributions. The flatpak was made to help linux fans, but isn’t spoken of on the mainsite. Main site provides .deb and .rpm but for truly ancient versions of ubuntu and fedora.

I’ve got some notes on this over at: http://archive.v1.talkgroup.xyz/t/relearn-inform-7

1 Like

You know what, it wasn’t until I was entering in this data that I realized the list I copied over did not have inconsistent on it. I presumed it was in there, and I’ve added it for inform7. (remember, we can change it whenever we want. ^_^)

These both sounds like anti-features to me, as in we don’t need to tag software without those attributes. So “online required” is a feature, whereas “online not required” is not.

Your notes on DRM make me think I’d like an exhibit of DRM, and so we can relate DRM types to warez, so it gets it’s own front matter.

Each time we add front matter we’ll need to check if the template is updated to show the info appropriately. First pass is at:

https://allthe.codes/interi/web-layouts/src/branch/master/warez/single.html

I added an allthe.codes owner and repo front matter to SGDK, so I can construct the URLs for the repo as well as the API, to pull in commits:

https://interi.org/warez/sgdk/

Bare bones, but bones indeed!

The text file currently looks:

---
title: "SGDK"
licenses:
- MIT
allthecodes:
  owner: mirror
  repo: sgdk
---

My counterpoint: if I wanted to easily see a list of online-not-required, it could be cool to click on a tag. There is probably a way to list by “doesn’t have the online-required tag,” but I like the explicitness of such an “online-not-required” tag, because it disambiguates “i don’t know” from “not online-only.”

I do think DRM-free is a feature! Although I get if you’re trying to normalize DRM-free and are constructing a taxonomy as such.

1 Like

If you care about something being not online only, you can make that a feature. I don’t have a default set of features, I think it is up to the folks wanting knowledge to arrange it. I’m modeling the parts I care about, and I encourage ya’ll to make stuff up. :slight_smile:

For this, I actually think “DRM-free” is not a feature. :face_with_monocle:

With the online-only-ness, I ask myself: what is the default state of warez? Well, there is a broad and useful category of warez that is online-only; it makes sense to know which things I need a network connection for and which I don’t.

But DRM is something added to information that exists in a natural DRM-free existence. I propose we do not make DRM-free a feature, we merely list the various DRM systems as anti-features. This is as political/spiritual as it is organizational. Thoughts? :slight_smile:

We can do error checking for front matter, BTW. I intend to do so, to check for grammar errors, that kinda thing. But we could also through errors for warez: “this is not tagged with online-only or not-online-only, please choose one”. I think we’ll know what to check after more data modeling.

I added talkgroup discussions to the warez profiles!

Even with very little data, the SGDK page is looking active:

I have an idea about “status”: we can have a report that checks the status against a VCS record, if it has one. We can expand it to include anything, but I’m mostly thinking of allthe.codes git mirrors, at the moment.

This will come in really handy for the awesome lists, some of which haven’t been updated in years. If suddenly one is updated, it would be great to suddenly highlight the status may have changed and needs to be addressed. :slight_smile:

Also, wanted to point out:

https://allthe.codes/api/swagger

If you can get data from there, we can include it in profiles. :sunglasses:

I feel we have the start of the templates and content/meta-data, and each page will be added/edited upon in the future. Marking this as solved. :sunglasses:

This exercise has helped me define my vision for what I’m doing a bit more. Here’s a way simplified version:

• Reality is wide, deep, and like 17 other dimensions at capacity
  • I may not be able to hold a model of it in my head
  • Such attempts have caused apparent collections to appear that seem relevant to the current humans
  • We’ll just go with those.

That’s why I now think of warez as a sort of taxonomy. Ha! Haha. :sunglasses:

Not sure what that means, but I wouldn’t be surprised if “warez” was the name of a taxonomy that any object could be classified, if appropriate. :thinking: