March 18, 2019

• Continuing to beg people who requested changes to our service management system to actually test them before it goes live.
  • Continuing to puzz out some more SQL.
  • Strategizing with my sister about her upcoming wedding. Mostly our travel plans, her availability. Getting my mother and my fiance in the air as painlessly as possible and managing their airplane anxiety. Kicking ourselves for flying into Newark but staying in Brooklyn. Trying to figure out if my teenage little brother might actually agree to have fun while he is there. etc. etc.
1 Like

I just wanna say that our service management system is interesting. It’s designed where you can do 90% of most common customization with a visual programming language and rapid UI editors. It’s done this way to differentiate itself from other tools in the market, who lean more heavily on code and scripting and are therefore considered harder to administer.

However there is some stuff where you can’t get around doing a bit of code. And it contains a lightweight programming language that you can inject into things, these small snippets of code are usually linked to events in the system which trigger them, or are embedded in widgets in the visual programming bits.

However its not a complete language. For example it does not support loops or recursion and has no way to create data structures like arrays.

Which is frankly maddening. Like it’s okayish for lightweight customizations but you quickly find yourself painted into a corner if you need a large scale feature not provided by the vendor (which I suppose might be part of the point).

I think the other point, is that they don’t wanna risk an infinite loop anywhere in the user end of the code.

Anyway, because of this and the fact that im really stretching the system for a proposed change, I might be stuck writing code that uses nest if statements, nested 35 levels. Because we need to compare and walk up to 35 fields.

Im kinda building a toy version of this customization right now, using an artifically small example; and then when it’s finished I might write code in a real language which generates the final code.

I think id prefer one of the harder to administer products.

1 Like

Today was very positive and progressive. Very fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

is so sleepy. is hungry, finally ate more than these korean bbq flavored chips. trying to make follow-up appointments.

1 Like