March 3rd, 2019

Caspian had a very minor barking cough last night a couple times, but this morning it was very croup-like and more insistent. He and I hung out in a steamy bathroom until he could breath better. He seems totally fine now, except for a very intermittent cough that’s barky.

Croup always freaks me out. :grimacing:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

Nightly steamy showers and nasal spray are a ritual over here. No one tells you how much of parenting is keeping yer dumb kids’ pipes clear of gunk…

2 Likes

i had to look up croup and one of the two audio files in wikipedia worked on my phone. i’ve heard that cough before but didn’t know its name.

i hope you all feel better soon! hlad the steam helped too. sometimes i boil a pot of water, take it off the stove, and sit under a blanket with it to trap the steam.

i’m still amazed that you can take care of other small humans who can’t so that stuff on their own yet. it’s work, and hard work, physical and emotional, and the work of childcare only counts toward the gdp if it’s someone else’s child. i want a society where we (for what value of we? everybody?) pay people to childcare for their own children. or a society where work is abolished.

lol, that took a turn.

today a meeting got canceled so i’m staying in bed. i am very tired (and cannot imagine caring for another human). i should probably eat something (and cannot imagine being responsible for the feeding of another human). i am selfish, i think, but maybe have to learn how to care for myself selfishly before i can fathom being selfish (in a good way, where one’s family is conceived of as one’s self (maybe that’s bad, i dunno)) enough with my time and energy to be able to have any to spend on another human.

2 Likes

Blegh, respratory gunk is no fun.

I realized it was March today. I try to make sure everything in my life that doesn’t auto update gets new security updates quarterly. So i went through both VPSes, my home server and my laptop firmware updating things.

Decided I can’t actually keep myself at inbox zero consistently, but will do so quarterly along with updates now and did that. Also audited my RSS feeds and podcasts. Kind of a digital spring cleaning over here.

Knocked a couple of chapters out of Sketchy Scheme text I switched to and learned some new built-in functions in Scheme that I had been needing, and kinda implementing for myself unnecessarily allready. (oops).

2 Likes

The last paragraph is remembered in my head as: judytuna is shellfish.