Morning culture

I’ve never been a part of morning culture. There are subtle rituals and language that I don’t understand. This morning I decided that instead of going back to sleep I would instead hit the Hub when it opened. Then I remembered why the closer I wake to noon, the happier I am.

One thing I wasn’t expecting was the queuing for BART. I should have taken a photo. In the mornings, people line up for the trains, in an orderly and very inefficient manner. I saw this at each station in Berkeley. So weird.

People dealing with morning routines and stress tend to act a little more civil than those already in the middle of their day. There is a reason Caltrain was orderly when the trains were made up of people commuting to work versus people commuting to school (stanford). Also, the earlier trains were way more orderly than even the 9am trains. I hated taking anything past 7:40 because 8 was when the assholes started to appear.

Also, just noticed the “inefficient” word. I only link you a very pertinent blog post of mine: http://blog.grossmeier.net/2012/05/20/trust/

I remember reading that post! I’ve always thought BART could use better signage, but it will almost certainly never be as good as theirs. :slight_smile:

The lines were inefficient because they were spaced out, extended across the platform and then down the other side, blocking the doors for the other train. Also, I prefer folks stand aside the door in order to let passengers off, but these queues started in front of the doors.

I just sat down (the only one sitting I could see) and boarded as usual. No one seemed bitter, so I am okay with it.

There’s a class divide for this queueing system as well. You’ll get nice orderly lines at Rockridge station, not so much at civic center. If you cut the line, I guarantee that lots of people were real damn pissed off at you, but were conflict-averse enough to keep quiet about it :slightly_smiling_face: