Need help doing non-google maps GPS analysis of my walking

OK, I’ve figured out how to get my walks as kml or gpx data.
I can even load them into KDE Marble and see them as a series of positions on a map, with a blue line connecting them. But I can find no offline GNU/Linux tool that will compute the distance, though lots of sugestions that I use Google Earth. (Id like to avoid using google maps data too.)

KDE Marble seems to regard this as point data and not route data, which might be relevant.

Ive never played with GPS mapping so a lot of this is foreign to me.

Im primarily after an easy way to both display routes ive walked and computing distance in a way I can keep a fun historical record for myself.

This is a two mile segment of part of my walk today.

There is some ancient refrences in the KDE Marble wiki to a KDE Workout app which will do exactly what I want; but it doesn’t seem to even exist anymore.

3 Likes

Looking forward to learning about this.

My first search would be FDroid: they have an abundance of mapping apps, many of which claim offline functionality. Not sure it provides an answer, but I always thought I’d use those apps as a starting roadmap for a GPS deep dive.

For the record im playing around sucking down the GPS data from gadgetbridge, and it’s being recorded by an Amazfit Bip which was the cheapest fitbit like thing I could find that worked with gadgetbridge and could compute miles via gps. Ideally id like to record walks even sans phone if the mood strikes me.

Ive had some limited success feeding the GPS data back into android apps like Trekarta, but theyve all been rounding down the mileage from what the Bip actually reports. The Bip data could be bad, but ive got nothing to compare the android apps too.

And if I do historically archive the data, id like to get it into a computer. GPS map data and all.

Ill have to chew on this.

1 Like

Taking wild stabs with random GNU/Linux mapping apps. Was able to get at the data I need and more by pointing QMapShack at the raw gpx files. Though not in a user friendly way. It did however also reveal speed and time at every point logged. Which is interesting.

Got enough data now to know that the android apps ive tried are rounding the data off.

2 Likes