talkgroup

New dual analog FLOSS handheld based on GCW Zero's architecture

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd92171f0f0> #<Tag:0x00007fd92171eec0> #<Tag:0x00007fd92171ed30>

A lot of noise is being made over the placement of the dpad, but I doubt that would bother me much. That being said im kinda all hardwared up for a while. I dont need a new tiny emulator machine right now no matter how much they fascinate. This is expected to be sub $100. Exact same SoC as the GCW Zero.

Their claiming HDMI out though. I wonder how their doing that? Linux kernel support on the video out on the GCW Zero was done, but they never got the scaling finished and I thought it was analog. Maybe thats not a function of the SoC or it’s a newer variant of the SoC?

This article is interesting to me in that they claim the power of the SoC is a virtue for PSX emulation. I thought buy and large the GCW Zero’s playstation emulators kinda suffered development wise for a long time, because few to no high quality optimized mips based psx emulator cores existed. I wonder too if this became a solved problem. It has been 2-3 years since I parted with my GCW Zero.

Looks like some GCW Zero folks put in the hardwork of really cleaning up their PSX4All port and merging it with upstream, sounds vastly improved. This device should be very capable of doing PSX era games.

Second image in the post of the actual prototype is pretty awesome though.

2 Likes

Does that mean my GCW Zero plays PS games?!

2 Likes

I think so. You just need a recentish build of PSX4ALL. Might need to update your GCW Zero firmware/OS if you haven’t in a long time. The semi official GCW Zero section of the dingoonity forums, has the download for PSX4ALL, in the releases subforum.

Might be hard on any dual analog games that really benefit from dual analogs, but you could play quite a few games. The dualshock controller actually wasn’t the launch controller for the playstation so most games outside of a few don’t require all of the extras it brought with it.

I’ve played many a PSX JRPG with just a single analog or no analog.

1 Like

I will add ironically, it looks like PSX4ALL got a lot of development love beginning almost exactly around the time, I shelved my GCW Zero, and then gave it away while moving.

Id be curious to hear your experiences with it @maiki it SOUNDS vastly imrpvoed on paper, but sometimes trying emulators out on real games is the best way to know.

2 Likes