Non-Hobbesian apocalypses?

I’m using Hobbes as in this asshole - Thomas Hobbes - and referring specifically to his concept of the state of nature:

Beginning from a mechanistic understanding of human beings and their passions, Hobbes postulates what life would be like without government, a condition which he calls the state of nature. In that state, each person would have a right, or license, to everything in the world. This, Hobbes argues, would lead to a “war of all against all” ( bellum omnium contra omnes ). The description contains what has been called one of the best-known passages in English philosophy, which describes the natural state humankind would be in, were it not for political community:[22]

In such condition, there is no place for industry; because the fruit thereof is uncertain: and consequently no culture of the earth; no navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by sea; no commodious building; no instruments of moving, and removing, such things as require much force; no knowledge of the face of the earth; no account of time; no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.[23]

This is what most people think happens in a post-apocalypse, and what the city and federal government assumed would happen during Hurricane Katrina, and they acted accordingly…

Not sure what to call a chill post-apocalypse…even in the media I’ve cited that are more about supportive/cooperative community building, there are ugly and threatening components just beyond the limits of the community.

I guess the Vuvalini from Mad Max: Fury Road are an example. Into the Badlands is not as chill since things just redeveloped into a very strict feudalism with a “state of nature” just beyond the wall…

1 Like