Ol' gray beard

I just found a particularly silvery hair in my beard. I want to talk about it.

When I was growing up it seemed people always bemoaned the fact their hair was turning gray, white or silver. Its funny, because I always thought they were much older than they were. I mean, as a child, every adult is older than you, but I realize that all the parents around me had our generation when they were barely out of their teens (my mother gave birth to me at age nineteen).

Doing some math, I realize that they must have been my age and younger when their hair began graying. I also realize that their lives were substantially more stressful than mine, or more to the point, they led stress-laden lives. I am at the average age of when graying begins to happen.

This is all fine and good, but the thing I want talk about is this… our hair is changing color!

That is awesome!

I’ve worn wigs and have sometime put types of paint in my hair and beard for parties or costuming, but I have never dyed my hair before. Perhaps it is that inexperience, combined with my slight silver hair kink, but I think that my hair changing color is one of the coolest things I have ever documented. When I see a white hair sprout up I can’t help but imagine all of my hair turning, and I like what I see in my mind’s eye!

I was fortunate to have either not payed attention, or somehow disregarded the stigma associated with graying hair. I don’t think it is a sign of wisdom, nor do I hope it is a sign of the stressful times I’ve had. I just want to enjoy the transition as it happens! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a shot of my 2020 pandemic beard, which I thought would be a lot lighter with silver and white tens years on…

I don’t believe hair color changing in my case is stressed related. :slight_smile: