overestimating the world

That’s why we go slow. Over the years I’ve heard from folks that had great insights to add to conversations that closed and passed out of interest, or so perceived, and they kept it to themselves. Slowness is a remedy (hopefully) against that.

Consider looking at inventory in WoW. How does that interact with these models?

Wanna know a maiki-secret? I think about what other people think about all the time.

I’m not great at figuring out anything in aggregate. You know how the past is memory, and the future is potential, so what is now? Well, I always hope “now” is enough time to act on historical data, because I’ve got no idea how people think and act in aggregate, and I’m afraid big data let’s some people figure that out, and hence be able to manipulate the people.

Okay, that’s a thought. Lessons.

I want to say I’ve learned this lesson as it applies to my work, but it may be more accurate to say: there is certainly a lesson there!

For instance, to this day I am not counting my achievements, only my “failures”. Recently I worked with an org for over a decade, so long that I had “been” there the longest (I used to work there and transitioned to contractor). But now they are all different, and it doesn’t work. And I feel devastated to end this relationship, even as it makes all the sense.

OMFG, I worked somewhere for over a decade, while doing other stuff! And I made great things, we helped people, it was great! But what do other people do in this scenario? No one is blogging all the companies they left or stopped working with, they just fluff up their current projects. It makes it hard to get an accurate depiction of reality.

So I’ve got to find the essential, and that is all internal. I can’t get the external validation I need, I don’t even know what it looks like.

Mixing it up, here’s the first thing I thought: we encourage people to inflate what others think and do.

Consider the playing chess. What’s the common saying: become a better player by playing better opponents.

Social networks feel like chess. There are no manuals, or if there are, they are too “technical” to be helpful. We are encouraged to jump in and play along until we pick up the game from others.

I think that works. My kid learned to walk and talk and be a pain in the ass from watching me. But what happens when the “point” of a network is something that no human, given all data points and potential outcome, would willingly join. Online networks, military, pro networking, politics. These have endgames that most people would find disgusting if they were told upfront.

And that, my friend is “not very high quality comment” with the --verbose flag turned on! :slight_smile: