Play Bloc by Bloc

I have a copy (from their Kickstarter campaign, years ago), but I haven’t played it yet. I’ve punched out all the pieces and read the rulebook though!

You can also print out the whole game and play it. Or buy it from them for $60.

Also discover their zine: https://outofordergames.com/all-power-to-the-blocs/

edited 24 days later: i still haven’t played at all yet, but i’ve read through (most of) the rules. it’s a co-op game and you take your city from the cops. it’s got elements i recognize from other games (police brutality level is like how dangerous the contagion is in pandemic; the board is different every time based on tiles like settlers…).

people on bgg give it decent ratings

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1604844025/bloc-by-bloc-the-insurrection-game

We’ll deep dive into this, as I’d like to expand this in ways that includes the creators and more on the history of the game itself.

However! For now I want to discuss: is there any strategic value at all in keeping ones factional goals to themselves when playing fully collaboratively?

The reason I ask, as it seems quite obvious, is the game has been surprisingly, hmmm, either instructive or observational with so many of the mechanics and themes. The secret goals seems to only serve one of the non-collaborative factions, but it occurs: what if there is a secret lesson to be learned from collaborating with others while unable to directly share information?

That seems like a potentially important lesson that is difficult to be trained upon, if it is indeed something relevant. :thinking:

rfirst playthrough yielded the BEST quotes

• can you please pass the manual? i need to read about how defeating cops works

i didn’t write them down in real time like we joked about so now i don’t remember them. haha. i didn’t waaaant to be on my phone during the game though so i feel all right about this.

maybe another time, a fifth could be sorta like the DM and perform the reaction rolls and police activity. but actually i don’t want that becauae i super like that no one has to play the cops, because friends don’t let friends become cops. haha. tho i guess DMs play monsters all the time. more thoughts.

Oops, I fucked up… cop time!

Also, a betrayal (oh neighbors)!

I had a thought: there are I think two factions that don’t play well with the four base factions. For whatever reason, they have different incentives to win.

We briefly discussed that, and how it would not be fun to play with those factions.

And I thought just now: ah! That’s the point! It is more difficult, less fun. You have to create new ways to communicating goals so they sound like they align with the others’, and always look to mitigate their actions in play.

Sounds like a good lesson. :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.