Sony Clie (and Pre Jony Ive Age Handhelds Non-Gaming)

Inspired by: @tim

I wanted to create a thread where we all gush about the visual aesthetics of handhelds of yester year with visuals.

I am VERY nostalgic for my old Sony Clie` and often daydream about getting one off ebay again. If their were was a PalmOS epub reader or a maintained XMPP client (or working wifi?) or something I could use to justify it I think I would in a hot second.

410CGMMZ4DL

2 Likes

Awesome! I definitely want to hear your thoughts on this too. I cannot articulate well why I like the designs we are talking about here.

Is it because these look like a tool, something to use? The modern smartphone does not look like a tool at all.

I’ll add more pictures to this as I can!

Possibly, probably? Their also just rawly more tactile designs? They have textures and physical buttons and their meant to be held as real fixtures. They click or slide into place, have weight. Their is a physicality to them.

Smartphones design is rapidly converging into a single featureless weightless pane of glass. More of an idealized window pane instead of something meant to be held and used.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Jornada 720

A post was split to a new topic: Zire 71/72

Two things:

1. I love this thread, and the first hand accounts of these devices!
  2. A device-tan comic is forming in my head, of the freaks and geeks of mobile devices… :slight_smile:
3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Nokia 6820

these are all so y2k-aesthetic

3 Likes

Some of these devices look like they are bending some physics rules to get all those sliders in. I’m waiting for things like, “The Nokia 6820 was amazing, only weighed 3 pounds!” and, “The Helio Ocean has two keyboards, browser, MP3 support and a slim 6-inch height laying down!” :slight_smile:

I watched Captain Marvel recently, and it stands on its own as just a nostalgic walk-around. I mean, Fury is using a state-of-the-art two-way pager. It’s hot!

So, we ever gonna get back to hackertech plastic shells? Or shall we fill the ocean with our disposable transparent slate-glasses for next year?! :fire:

1 Like

Your not wrong. It was chunky , but not so much so it was out of spec for those times… Youve made me curious.

Dimensions 4.33" (H) x 2.20" (W) x 0.86" (D)
Mass 5.61 ounces / 0.35 pounds

I watched Captain Marvel recently, and it stands on its own as just a nostalgic walk-around. I mean, Fury is using a state-of-the-art two-way pager . It’s hot!

Ive got to catch that thing, im a year or two behind on my Marvel movies those. Im totally out of sync with everyone there.

1 Like

It actually only weighed 3.5 ounces. (!!!)

You know how I feel about it!

Also I am self-limiting myself to only posting here once a day at most.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Blackberry 8700

Guys im getting too nostalgic for this mess. I just looked up that pilot-link for syncing with PalmOS is still packaged in my linux distro.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Apple Newton

A post was split to a new topic: PepperPad

3 posts were split to a new topic: Creative MuVo TX FM