I have a Rocket Chat server at https://chat.interi.org. Recently I made it readable by anonymous visitors, and we've been discussing it. You can even see the latest discussion (at this moment) if you check out https://chat.interi.org/channel/general.
I wanted to create a more prominent conversation so I understand what folks expect from something like a chat server.
Here are the pros and cons, according to maiki. Pros:
- Easier to find information, without a login wall
- Potentially indexable by search engines, adding context to knowledge
- Less overhead for onboarding new members, as they can determine if it is for them
- Direct messages and channels set to private are still not public
- Folks don't understand the chat is public, say things they regret
- Folks may not feel safe, in an era where non-private, non-safe services abound
What are your thoughts on this? Should I keep that private? Are public logs useful?
If I were running an IRC server I feel like the conversation would be different, but Rocket Chat feels like something that is small scale and private per group. Very interesting.