Sialolithiasis

Sialolithiasis, also know as salivary gland stones. I have this, I think. And it sucks.

I would post photos, but oral photography is up there with food photography, in that it is kinda gross, and I can do without. I am going to see a doctor about this, and I will probably post photos here later, so other people can figure it out without looking all over the oral photography archives to figure this out.

My symptoms are this wicked growth on my lingual frenulum (the flap that connects my tongue to my mouth), about the diameter of a dime, and growing (since yesterday). It freaked me out, because I have never seen anything there, at all! Then late last night it began to form white heads all over it, and flattened into more of a disc with rough edges. I believe those are the tiny stones try to extract.

It isn’t serious, I don’t think. I can suck on sour things to increase salivation to try to pop them out. I know, that sounds weird to me as well. At any rate, this is apparently more motivation than a hole in my foot to take a step back from my fast-paced web developer’s life, and do some maintenance.

Also, hydration! Not only do I feel great in the moment when I am hydrated, I also feel great in the long run. Invest some water in yourself, today!

Update (4:07PM): So, I just popped a rock out of a gland in my mouth. That is pretty much the easiest way to describe it. It immediately felt better. I don’t think I will ever get the visual out of my head.