Some hideouts...

There are many people, and so there are many hideouts in the world.

Some hideouts are in a tree, made of platforms, ropes, and bits of playground equipment. One time there was a tree house with a working elevator, but it only went one way, so it didn’t get used very often.

I knew a kid that could slide from one room to the next, and their tree house had at least 9 stories, if you include the one I just shared.

In a recent survey it was shown tree house owners prefer “vines” over “ladders” nearly 3-to-1, and yet most trees are not covered in vines. Coincidence?!

The best security system I every saw was in a pecan tree, which used strings attached to particular branches, the pulling of which dumped pecans upon the heads of the intruders. Untold riches were kept from the hands of younger siblings, using such a method.

1 Like

Some hideouts are as simple as a table. Under it, of course. Why, it’s so simple, one wonders if there aren’t hideouts all around us!

The simplest, strongest shape for a hideout is a half-circle. If you keep an eye out, you’ll find these on the edges of your neighborhood, in forgotten fields, and full of water going under roads.

Some are rather small indeed, being just a pipe half full of mud; these are the best places to be alone, because no one want’s follow you.

Others are bunkers, built by minds that thought the worst was to come, yet they never got to use their hideouts, instead leaving it for those of us that know the shape of things. Bunkers sometimes come with beds, but they are never comfortable.

Some hideouts have covering, from the rain, sleet, hail, and thunderous snow storms. But mostly rain.

When asked about optimal napping spots, “a good hideout during a light rain” is always listed in the top ten spots.