Stargate Pseudo Rewatch

I got into Stargate SG1 / Atlants back in the day when that was a current show but not until something like Season 7 ish ? I also was really into the Stargate Atlantis spin off they did.

I found myself wishing there was more Stargate in general. Its kind of a show and franchise that was terminated less for it’s own sins and more because of weird internal politics of it’s network and the recession that landed right in the middle of it.

Then I realized their were like six or seven seasons I had never watched. There was in fact more stargate to watch.

I’ve been binging through it now. Just curious if anyone else has any love for the show; and wanna hear my notes.

Probably going to be eventually circle into a rewatch of the bits I have seen.

2 Likes

So… I kinda fell in love with the premise of Stargate Universe, and before I had a chance to binge second season I learned of the show’s fate, and no longer want to invest more attention into the show.

Whoo, that was cathartic!

So: yes, no! :slight_smile: But please do post notes here. I’d be ever so pleased. And given how impressionable I am relating to pet projects, I’ll probably jump on board after like, two episodes. :face_with_monocle: (On the other hand, I’ve basically ignored @judytuna’s BSG thread, so maybe I’ve gotten the forum host/life balance down after all!)

And it’s funny, because I’m basically using a similar premise for a storyverse, where folks walk between planets. But dammit, I’m tired of being a demographic! I think I should stick to the written word by indie authors.

Aside: this is post 4000! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I absolutely love Stargate in all it’s forms. I think I hopped on the Stargate train a year after you did. I had like 8 seasons of Stargate SG-1 to watch, then started watching SG-1 and Atlantis at the same time, since they often had crossover content (WHICH WAS SO COOL).

And then SG Universe dropped… OMG. I’m fairly certain @maiki and I watched some of that together in Berkeley. It’s definitely different than the first two, but it has some of the best science fiction stories ever. Also great characters.

if I may be so bold… big mistakey!

Early season notes:

The SG1 standard protocol for visiting new worlds through the stargate strikes me as a little at odds with the standard protocol for operating the iris AND actually meeting another civilization of comparable tech level.

Earth has an iris which basically prevents things from emerging from it’s stargate. If something tries while the iris is closed, more often than not it is destroyed into constuent subautomic particles. Byt the nature of womhole-technobable. SGC keeps it closed unless they recieved a specially coded signal from an ally.

Before going to a new world SGC always sends a drone ahead to verify it’s safe to send people. (Smart).

However these means no one else ever sending drones ahead of them ever makes contact with SGC, and SGC never makes contact with planets who have some iris-equivalent.

I kinda like to think this is why all the civilizations they meet in the early seasons are either very much less advanced OR more advanced than earth is.

1 Like

Early season notes:

SGC redesign:

Keep the gate in a steel reinforced concrete air tight “airlock” and move all dialing equipment outside the airlock. Make all the walls many feet thick. Monitor gate with remote cameras. Be prepared to flood the airlock with some sort of knock-out gas. Don’t position red shirts at the gate entrance, but just outside the airlock. Doesn’t replace a need for an iris, but this will save more-fictional lives.