The Heroes Journey RPG

Im following the second edition of The Heroes Journey RPG with some interest. The writer/designer shared some things about his thought process for the game and adventure designs for it recently that I think have some relevance; as non-violent conflicts in RPGs has been a reoccurring theme for some of us.

Original post here: Halfling's Luck: I'm Going On An Adventure: Writing Adventures for The Hero's Journey

Most interesting snipits below:

As I was writing The Hero’s Journey, I tried to emphasize that while combat was an element of the game, it was not a strong focus an should not be the first solution in a group’s repertoire. In fact, combat should be the last option. When swords get drawn and battle is joined then circumstances must be dire.

… combat is deadly in The Hero’s Journey. But strange creatures have no “alignment,” and have their own reasons for acting as they do then roleplaying becomes the most valuable tool in a character’s bag of tricks. Conan cleaves through countless foes with a swing of his axe. Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser face off against half a dozen wizards at the gates of Lankmar. But when Tristan crosses into Stormhold, he rarely uses his sword. In Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship runs from most combat encounters. When Bilbo faces off against the spiders of Mirkwood he uses hit and run tactics to distract them – not to face them in battle. The clever hobbit doesn’t even think to try to kill the dragon outright. It’s not that these things are impossible, it’s that slaying a dragon or felling a giant in The Hero’s Journey is a genuinely legendary and requires genuinely legendary planning, skill, and even luck.

Combat is rare and deadly in The Hero’s Journey , regardless of character level. It is the stuff of legendary songs or sorrowful laments. That goes beyond a character’s level and permeates the entire essence of the game. Be clever. Be resourceful. Be diplomatic. Be heroic. Your sword when all else has failed, not as the first solution to a problem.

1 Like