The Mozilla Manifesto

Now we get to the principles. There are 10, and not enumerated in this doc, but I’m talking about them separately so I will refer to them as HOLY MOZILLA COMMANDMENT number N.

Principle number 1:

Hmmm.

How much has life changed prior to the early 80s (yeah, I happen to know more about internet history than you, I’m pointing out that it wasn’t moving the needle for all those sectors until at least as late as the 80s [how many internet businesses or educational resources were available in Stranger Things?]).

I’m not sure I can answer to the truth of this statement. I tend to think folks could get on without the internet, but maybe it is truly a dark age when we can’t spew our opinions into each other’s thoughtstreams at the speed of fiber’d light.

My serious point is: I’m not using this principle to build upon. Further examination:

• education - Which part of education is the internet supporting? It’s been a political sinkhole used to store so much trash it is now a mountain, and only now is “modern life” being held accountable. Home school much, America? Kinda sucks that we all cranked into building ADHD-capitalist-monsters, huh? The curriculum for it is brutal, but wait, you have all the support you need, just jump on this Zoom real quick…
  • communication - Yeah, fair point. I guess. Kinda the internet’s wheelhouse, ne?
  • collaboration - I want to believe collaboration increased because of the internet. My personal collaboration hasn’t improved since the 90s, so I’ll just finish typing this into personal forums and hop back on jabber to chat with friends. :face_with_monocle:
  • business - :roll_eyes: Not sure what to say here. I want folks to have meaningful lives, but businesses seem incapable of providing that, and all my ideas on the subject tend to be radical in the political as well as TMNT sense, so I’ll just note that the “business” of the web is messy AF and the more Mozilla acts like a “business” the more everyone I know hates it.
  • entertainment - “Entertainment” is business speech for “profitable culture” and I reject that. I don’t want starving artists; I want artists on universal basic income and don’t want to be distracted by hyperreal myths until it gets done.
  • society as a whole - I’m aware of this being true if one accounts for empires using the internet to subjugate the rest of the world in proxy war games. Oh shit, 1984 ya’ll! The good world-building parts, not the psychosexual-babble and just so much drinking. Anyhow, yeah, not sure society is benefiting greatly from the internet. For certain values of “society”.

Hmmm.

Maybe I’d just say something like, “The internet affects us all—our education, communication, ability to organize and collaborate, to create and share our culture, and will continue to shape our society as a whole.”