To my gaming homies

The short of this post is that I am taking an indefinite hiatus from tabletop role-playing. Ouch.

I want to run/play games, more than anything. After that, I want to make games. Then comes food, comfort, internet, and then work. However, I am doing something that is really awesome, and will free up a lot of my time later on. But I need it to be the thing that is on my mind in the shower, and RPGs doesn’t help my focus, it offers an easy distraction.

I don’t like making decisions like this, I want to remain flexible, and allow the randomness of the universe to take me where it will (another game in itself). I am not doing this for me, but rather for my homies, the people I play with. I have this growing group of people that have been invited/extended invitations to play. Video games are easy to ditch on, because everyone stays at home, and there is a plenty of people to play with. But pen and paper requires travel, mindshare, snacks and a minimal amount of preparation.

I don’t want to string folks along, and I don’t want to deal with the scheduling business that comes with running a game.

I hope that I will be able to get back into the swing of things in a couple of months, but no promises. I can’t stop thinking of ideas for games, and I will no doubt continue to talk about them. But as for actual gaming, I am on sabbatical. =]

Now, about the manga cafe we’ve been running on certain weekends at the Cottage…

This is interesting, since I was drafting an email to send to the gaming group about the same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m trying to prune (in the gardening sense) my distractions, so I can focus more on my ideas I want to see realized.

I look forward to learning more about your awesome idea. And thanks for the Paul Graham link. I just need to get his feed.

I hear that. I pretty much reached the same point, at least as far as running a game, where my mind and time is being pulled in so many directions, that preparing for game wasn’t relaxing.

Sad to hear, but I know exactly what you mean about needing mental breathing room. Can’t wait to hear about the really awesome thing you’re working on!