unDraw, a nonfree image collection

Read on: this isn’t licensed under MIT as advertised.

A constantly updated collection of beautiful svg images that you can use completely free and without attribution.

Check these out!

MIT, and many, many of them. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Undraw images aren’t open source because their license has a field of use restriction (highlighted):

More precisely, unDraw grants you an nonexclusive, worldwide copyright license to download, copy, modify, distribute, perform, and use the assets provided from unDraw for free, including for commercial purposes, without permission from or attributing the creator or unDraw. This license does not include the right to compile assets, vectors or images from unDraw to replicate a similar or competing service, in any form. This extends to automated ways to scrape, search or download the assets included on the website without our consent.

The following sentence is more of a website ToS item.

The images couldn’t be used in for example illustrations to be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (because that site would reject as non-free).

https://openclipart.org/ is AFAIK still the best source of completely unencumbered vector images.

1 Like

I was wondering why I thought that was MIT licensed, and it is because everywhere they talk about it, they say that. But doesn’t that make it not that? And if so, I’d like to pass that along. That really sucks.

Looks like it was offered under MIT but changed sometime this year.

I learned about the project from a link in social/README.md at master · nextcloud/social · GitHub.

Not expecting much traction today, but I did submit Undraw images are not under a MIT license · Issue #277 · nextcloud/social · GitHub.

And we can discuss better options. :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW I think the problematic thing is not that they’re no longer under MIT (another free license would be fine) but that they’re under a non-free license. I don’t know whether NextCloud cares about official Debian packages, for example, but if they do, they’re just making work for Debian maintainers by including non-free assets.

1 Like

It would appear they do not:

Guys you can close this… There is no need to attribute me or unDraw and you are only using 8 images which is cool and no need to discuss it further. The problem and main reason we switched from MIT was that people were ripping unDraw constantly, skyrocketing the CDN costs that we pay ourselves, without any purpose, other than promoting themselves. Btw, thank you for the attribution so far!

thanks for the clarification! :slight_smile: And thanks a lot for the illustrations in the first place. We will of course continue to attribute.

I don’t have the energy to argue with these folks. I’m sorry to the internet, I’m not seeing that through. It just means I can’t trust the core Nextcloud apps for my clients.

I wanted to reply asking the illustrator if they was giving permission to use those 8 images to the Nextcloud folks, of if they were including me as the originator of the issue. If so, and in lieu of any other license, I give them away under CC0. Please seek clarification from the illustrator.

2 Likes