unDraw, a nonfree image collection

svg
undraw
nonfree
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f92a02e5600> #<Tag:0x00007f92a02e5380> #<Tag:0x00007f92a02e4de0>

Read on: this isn鈥檛 licensed under MIT as advertised.

A constantly updated collection of beautiful svg images that you can use completely free and without attribution.

Check these out!

MIT, and many, many of them. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Undraw images aren鈥檛 open source because their license has a field of use restriction (highlighted):

More precisely, unDraw grants you an nonexclusive, worldwide copyright license to download, copy, modify, distribute, perform, and use the assets provided from unDraw for free, including for commercial purposes, without permission from or attributing the creator or unDraw. This license does not include the right to compile assets, vectors or images from unDraw to replicate a similar or competing service, in any form. This extends to automated ways to scrape, search or download the assets included on the website without our consent.

The following sentence is more of a website ToS item.

The images couldn鈥檛 be used in for example illustrations to be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (because that site would reject as non-free).

https://openclipart.org/ is AFAIK still the best source of completely unencumbered vector images.

I was wondering why I thought that was MIT licensed, and it is because everywhere they talk about it, they say that. But doesn鈥檛 that make it not that? And if so, I鈥檇 like to pass that along. That really sucks.

Looks like it was offered under MIT but changed sometime this year.

I learned about the project from a link in social/README.md at master 路 nextcloud/social 路 GitHub.

Not expecting much traction today, but I did submit Undraw images are not under a MIT license 路 Issue #277 路 nextcloud/social 路 GitHub.

And we can discuss better options. :slight_smile:

BTW I think the problematic thing is not that they鈥檙e no longer under MIT (another free license would be fine) but that they鈥檙e under a non-free license. I don鈥檛 know whether NextCloud cares about official Debian packages, for example, but if they do, they鈥檙e just making work for Debian maintainers by including non-free assets.