What is a software page?

Continuing the discussion from What is a series page?:

@trashHeap, I know you got a dossier in yer head! Lay it on me.

Licensing and if the community is bullshit. Those are the big two for me. I figure I’d build a system to track repos and/or issue queues, to give an indicator of activity.

I am curious to know how you wanna quantify that. I’d also wanna know about the lead dev or project lead. Sometimes they can be bullshit in a way the community isn’t. But I don’t know what id call that data point either at the moment.

Trying to generate metadata which would work for proprietary retro app in dosbox about as well as GNU packages in a linux distro; and everything in between.

(In no particular order)

• Name
  • Status (Dead/Healthy/Abandoned/Maitenaned/Security Patches Only)
  • Release Schedule/Cycle
  • License
  • Is license OSI/FSF/DFSG approved ?
  • Runtime (Java / Electron / NodeJS / Native (or libc) / etc.)
  • Widgets ( Qt / Gtk / Coacoa / Windows Forms / Swing / etc. )
  • Platforms
  • Build System
  • Website
  • Repository
  • Function ( Text Editor / Compiler / Calculator / Emulator / etc.)
  • Online Required
    • Decentralized / Centralized
    • Peer to Peer
  • Protocols supported
  • Web Based
    • Supported Web Servers
  • DRM & Type of DRM
  • Last known price
  • Publisher
  • Studio / Lead Dev
  • Package types available ( DEB / RPM / Flatpak / Snap / MSI / Installshield-EXE etc. )
  • Initial year it became available.
  • Recommended by other Talkgroup/Mage party member
  • Governance Model
3 Likes

Gawd damn, I feel lazy. :slight_smile:

Do OSes fall into the same Software page?

I don’t know. Maybe.

For things like this I wish I had a flexible, query-able database that I could load everything into, and query only the portions I need for whichever context. For instance I might need stats on all OSes for a chart, whereas most times I only need a list of FOSS. Ya know?

Then there are video games versus online games versus textmode games versus console games… a lot of contexts.

Still thinking. :slight_smile:

I dunno im kind of a operating system junkie. So like, I regularly do things like “how are all the microkernel based FLOSS attempts doing?” “Are their any new Hurd distros? How is it’s Sound support coming?” “Which OSes support this particular Arm SoC?”

But their is also probably a limit to how much we should wiki along my own foci.

Is there a difference? I only care enough to document it accurately. I was thinking of just having “exe” as a package type. Whatcha think?

• DEB
  • RPM
  • Flatpak
  • Snap
  • EXE
  • DMG

From a windows deployment perspective, MSIs are a standard file format you can manipulate with standard tools, and EXEs are programs which happen to extract files somehow onto your computer. Sometimes in completely unpredictable ways that resist manipulation.

The difference there used to be pretty big deal to my day to day job. It hasn’t in a while for me personally and won’t likely do so again. But it may matter to others.

Im not quite fond of them, but maybe .AppImage needs to be added to that list too. Theyve seem increasingly common.

HPKG for Haiku which I have a feeling will get some mileage out of me.

It suddenly occurs to me I don’t know how to correctly identify whatever the heck Mac OS X / macOS uses these days. They had an installer infrastructure with an extension at one time, but I don’t think they kept it around. Though .app bundles still exist, but are often distributed in .dmg or .zip files. Nevermind I see DMG was on there.

As I have a couple of these filled out, here’s some notes on mapping these to front matter so I can render the in Hugo.

Gonna drop software in a directory, and will map the name to title. Also, will use a simplified form of the warez name for the slug/URL/filename.

Could I get a brief description of what those mean?

Should we infer this from reading release date data, or have tags for general categories of release schedules?

I can’t find it at the moment, but there is a curated list of software license tags, and I think those are used to populate the lists in git repo software, for instance; for choosing a license from a list. Anyhow, I’d like to standardize this along those lines.

That can be inferred, I believe, ne?

May I have a semi-complete list of these? Or perhaps all of the ones you’d run into with your software?

Break out discussion? :slight_smile:

Examples of systems and the warez that use them, please.

I plan to list an unlinked URL unless it is registered on the site as “safe”.

I plan to have a repo and a mirror, if one makes sense (our ATC mirror org for anything I’m interested in).

Is there a big ol’ list to draw on, or shall it be free form?

Haven’t run into these yet, anyone have a sample?

Wonder if protocols might live under a mega-catch-all attribute called: “features”.

Or, if I want to track protocols (XMPP) as their own thing…

Similar to file formats supported; QGIS and LiberOffice, together they read nearly everything.

I’m willing to mark “drm” as an antifeature, and be done with it. I personally don’t need much nuance on this point. Is it helpful to provide that nuance?

Moon festival! Gonna go look at moon and will leave more notes. :slight_smile:

What does this apply to? Which question does it answer?

Is the lead dev on a git repo the same thing as Kojima and EA?

What are some examples? Do we have one for “capitalist entertainment corp”? :slight_smile:

Ill start on these in chunks, as some of your questions are asking for a lot of verbosity.

• Dead/Abandoned - No longer receiving updates. No longer actively maintained. Examples: windows 9x series , the camino browser, meego, Legacy of Kain : Soul Reever.
  • Healthy/Maintaned/Active - Actively maintained, project has a developer or a dev team, squashing bugs and working on features. Exmaples: Gnome, Fedora, Firefox, Stardew Valley. OpenSSL, GCC, Windows 10
  • Security/Bugfix Updates Only - Dev team or developer is attached to it, but no new features are expected in the short or long terms outside of patching security vulneabilities or bugs. Software may or may not be considered feature complete. Examples: PackageKit , BaZaar/bzr , network time daemon. webkit-legacy, splatoon 2
  • Life Support : Dev team or developer is attached to it, but only bare minimum is being done to make sure it compiles and can execute. Often people packaging the software have somehow become the maintainers. User is often on their own in terms of support, and it’s very much ‘buyer beware’ in terms of security. Examples: pilot-link (for syncing palm pilots), GNU Robots, Various Net-Trek Clients.
1 Like

If we are tracking release date data thats enough would be fine by me.

1 Like

From the license? Yeah. Sometimes it’s a little difficult to infer on more exotic licenses. But never impossibly so.

1 Like

I feel like all of this is likely asking the same question: Does this work with/fit in with my preferred software ecosystems?

Therefore I think it might all be expressed under the platform monicker, but im not quite sure the best way to slice and dice platforms. Mainly because platforms are a very fluid concept.

1 Like

I’m going to try and do this in terms of broad categories because I feel getting granular here is beyond our scope. (Though correct me if im wrong).

• Make-ish - works well with traditional older unix tools; is easily packaged in terms of package management. Is often featured in compiled languages. Examples include: GNU Make, cmake, qmake on the traditional but includes less traditional or less common examples suchs as jam, waf and messon. Software using such things is very common.

• Project Based - Common (but not exclusively) to software developed in IDEs. Often the project file for the IDE is distributed in lieu of a makefile. Can be seen as semi standard practice sometimes with software developed for proprietary platforms, but can crop up for others too, especially with cross platform software. This can occur with code written in complex IDEs which support the behavior, such as qtcreator, microsoft visualstudio and eclipse. Such software is harder to package for floss operating systems, as a more traditional build system has to be strapped onto it. I don’t see this frequently but it does crop up. Ive hit this problem when ive tried to package software such as http://www.kurso.com.br OR Project Aon: Main / Lone Wolf Action Chart (browse) . I don’t hit this as much as I used to but it still occurs.

• Build System Is Also A Foreign Package Manager - Common to interpreted languages. The build system tries to handle runtime depedency installation and often features userland packages. pip / nodejs are the ones I see most often. These cannot be package like more traditional build systems; because they in and of themselves are package management systems.

1 Like

My immediate instinct was to picking a couple of FLOSS package managers that tackle this problem and rip them off.

Was thinking about this in terms of web based warez. Like how NextCloud ships with documentation on how to get it running on Apache or NGINX but if your trying to use say OpenBSD’s HTTPD your offroading on your own.

Was thinking about this both in terms of videogames as well as things like instant messaging software, or even again web based software like friendica or mastodon or the like.

Some people are opinionated on DRM. Steam itself can be considered a kind of DRM for thoose games which use it’s APIs. Though people often mean something more heavy weight. Also knowing the DRM might be helpful for anyone who wants to break it.

2 Likes