Let's play an RPG here in the forums: the surveys

I kept it open for suggestions.

I didn’t know if GNS styles belonged in a separate category, or in System/Mechanics, because of how influential the theory to both game creation and categorization. I feel like it should be separate, so we can vote on broad and deep categories, to catch folks’ passions.

For instance, I’d like to play every version of D&D. Not a campaign each, but I’d like to play an adventure and make characters, to sate my own curiosity on how people played in a time and place. In a similar vein, I’d also like to play all the Classic World of Darkness games, to see how each splat-group compares mechanically, while also taking catalog of the art, writing and reference materials, as I particularly enjoyed that paracosm.

Those kinds of decisions get voted on in “system/mechanics”.

Over in this part of brain we have a different set of terms which could be loosely categorized as “play types”, and while GNS is sorta that and sorta not, I feel it fits in thematically for what a person would vote for. Combined examples mights be:

• Gamist games
  • Narrative games
  • Simulation games
  • Collaborative storytelling
  • World-building
  • Non-violent
  • Serious Drama
  • Silly humor
  • Third-person
  • Tactical transparency

Ya know, I’m just rolling with it here, so suggestions on organizing this is welcome! :slight_smile: Eventually I could see this turning into a multi-faceted search form to help drill down which game a person or group should reach for. But to start we just need like, six peeps to take a few polls and then we can get our game on!