Lots Of Valve's Proton Work Is Landing Back In Upstream Wine

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Proton-Work-Back-In-Wine-4.2

1. Valve has been working on an enhanced fork of Wine that leverages other technically interesting things to make GNU/Linux distros running the steam client capable of installing and running a wide array of windows games.
  2. I didn’t realize that Codeweavers was who Valve was contracting with to do this. Their good people; and while they put out some proprietary tools for using Wine. All their direct changes to the WIne codebase on their own products are allways up-streamed. With codeweavers your paying for ease of configuration and cutting edge builds before it’s been upstreamed. Historically ive on occasion bought Codeweavers when ive needed a windows app long term for work or school and it was on sale, and ive not felt terribly guilty for it.
  3. This is a very interesting historically. Especially when you compare and contrast it with the kind of bullshit Transgaming’s Cedega fork was doing a decade ago.
3 Likes

Lots Of Valve’s Proton Work Is Landing Back In Upstream Wine could easily refer to a broken facility dumping rogue elements into our booze fountain!

Sorry, I have more to say, because the historical importance is there, a solid win for contributing upstream. But I thought the booze fountain thing was funnier! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like