More in Mozilla being dissapointing / Spinning down IRC possibly in favor of Discord

Discord eating all these digital communities into it’s proprietary centralized system has been a source of concern for me, and a point of mild friction for many friends of mind who do use Discord.

It reminds me very much of how facebook ate a lot of distributed digital communities early on, by offering a lot of utility and by being fairly benign seeming.

3 Likes

Unless I’m tripping, one needs to use Github to edit the developer wiki. How many nails in the coffin before we say its dead?

I shouldn’t have to agree to third-party company terms to contribute. And if they can’t understand that, their power structure needs to be torn down.

At this point I have no recommended browser. I’m okay with that. We’ll build a good one. Just not before all the people get compromised by using their use of the commercial web.

1 Like

@trashHeap that third link is dead for me. Could you copy/summarize?

Also, we don’t know what they are switching to. If jabber, I’ll be all over that! Another alt would be RocketChat, which I think works well enough.

1 Like

Strange. It’s loading fine over here.

Its apparently a Mozillian outlying why they feel IRC is outmoded for them and what the criteria for a new system might be. Details here: Wayback machine mirror here: Synchronous Text « blarg?