Ouya will be shut down for good on June 25th

After that, Razer says “access to the Discover section will no longer be available. Games downloaded that appear in Play may still function if they do not require a purchase validation upon launch.” But by and large, games on the Ouya platform will stop working after the cutoff date.

Freaking purchase validation at launch. :anger:

@judytuna, while the console is largely useless for games unless you replace the OS, if there are historical reasons to play said games, bow is the time to download them.

It’s strange no patch is available to fix the launch validation. But like NWN, it means one day the people who own the IP can cone back along and turn it back on…

2 Likes

I find it kind of interesting that Razor is killing the same ecosystem for their Forge TV platform at the same time.

Their plan was to build Forge TV on the dead remains of Ouya and it inherrited the formers infrastructure. Forge TV was mostly a commercial a failure, but some people bought into it post Ouya wanting to support the platform. They even had promotions for devs to bring their apps over.

It came out like late 2015. Thats a pretty short life to be pulling the chord on purchases that quickly.

Im not surprised, honestly. Just remarking how terrible it is that this is the new normal.

3 Likes

The only things I know about Razer is they make light up peripherals for gamers (according to their displays at Fry’s), and they killed my phone (but not really, all phones are horrible :wink: ):

In January 2017, Nextbit was bought by American videogame hardware manufacturer Razer Inc.. Sales of the phone were halted almost immediately after the announcement. [7][8] On March 1, 2018, the cloud storage feature was shut down by Nextbit. 10 months after the acquisition, in November 2017, Razer released the Razer Phone, their very first game-centric smartphone, with the overall design based on the Robin.[9]