YunoHost is doing it’s job commendably. But ive grown to dislike it for a few reason.
- It configures all applications with lots of specific assumptions about media folder hiearchy that I find annying ultimately.
- It’s NextCloud app doesn’t track upstream well, and tends to lag behind in security updates between major version changes.
- I keep circling back to NextCloud being overkill for my needs, everytime I use it. And ive gotten back to that again.
- NextCloud android synching is full of lies.
I don’t like the following things about self hosting email.
- It’s honestly a bit nerve racking. I’ve not made any mistakes yet, and I keep lots of secure backups of my config and maildir. But everytime there is a delay in recieving an email I wonder if it’s my fault.
- A few parts of the internet seem to be offended by me having an email address, whose domain ends in “.in”. Ive been in a couple loops where I can succesfully verify my email with a few businesses, but they then randomly later flag my email as invalid. Leaving me in verification loops. Ive had to move a few of these to my backup tutanota address.
@Maiki at one point recommended I look into less cloud synchronization and think in terms of more portable storage. (I forget where) but that has some appeal.
I wanna do the following things:
Replace homeserver with portable storage; and syncthing. (Syncthing so far has been the best thing ive ever used, in terms of simplicity, security, set it and forget it-ness.)
Figure out a backup strategy for the portable storage. Because im paranoid about loosing data. Maybe periodically mirror it to another drive? rsync, git-annex, etc?
Figure out what to do if anything about contact syncing.
Move my domain’s MX Records to Tutanota (contigent on them getting calendar invite support. Though ive been looking at their git repos and it looks to be comming soon.)
Figure out new use for homserver hardware or give to a good home.