The taboo around pregnancy

There were very few people, only a handful, that I called to tell about Susan becoming pregnant. They were the ones that I wanted to know about this, because I like them and I share my happiness with them. I had no expectation from them, and I have to say that people congratulating me feels kinda odd. Maybe I don’t here that very often, but I just think it is cool because, peeps, the universe is amazing! I feel more a part of life than an instigator of it. But that isn’t what I wanted to talk about.

After I had gone voice with my tribe, I posted the news to the internet. There are slightly larger social circles of people that I wanted to share it with, because I feel like we are part of a great community, and it is good news that someone new will be introduced to free culture and other cool and fun ideas like that.

When I finally got around to posting about it here, it was more in the context of my personal growth, which is one of the themes of this site. I wasn’t trying to announce it to the world, but I think it is important to have that fact to understand what I talking about, you know, an accurate depiction of reality and all that. :slight_smile:

The reason I bring this up is because we’ve been advised, Susan and I, about telling people about the pregnancy. This has been from people who care about us, and have more experience with such things, and I thank them for their advice. I understand where they are coming from. Unfortunately, some other people had been borderline rude in their, I don’t know, warnings? Putting aside body language and the gossip, the major difference between these kinds of interactions is that the people we are close with are concise with what they are talking about, while the other folks leave a lot for us to infer, seemingly unable to say aloud what their fear is.

So, I want to just put this out there, Susan and I, besides being adults in the general sense, are also well versed in child development, including prenatal. We are informed of the rates of miscarriage. We have had honest, open and sometimes painful conversations about this. Indeed, we are probably most candid and raw in discussing aspects of parenting, given our personal paths in life, and the importance that children have played.

I don’t want people to suddenly change their opinions, or more to the point their feelings, around this subject. I don’t think that I can just say this in the open and challenge people to deal with this. I also don’t presume to know people’s experiences, which largely inform their opinions on these kinds of subjects. To be blunt, I know it sucks, and people have been hurt, and it is sometimes uncomfortable and painful to talk about the complications that happen during pregnancy.

Susan and I obviously don’t know how we are going to feel or think if something, anything happens. I mean, I want to say I will be cool, but I know of someone who fainted when they saw their child’s head crown! That was a tough dude, too (I will make sure to wear protective head gear in the delivery room). But like most things in life, we can only live in the moment, and build the foundation of trust and love to fall back on when the world goes insane.

So, I sincerely thank those of you who share the advice to consider who we tell. I know that it is out of love and caring that you advise as such. And for those of you who are peripheral to our lives, but still feel strongly about this, thank you for your concern, but everything, one way or another, is going to be fine. You don’t have to hold it in, either. Susan and I are capable of talking about this, we would love to discuss it with you. We can handle this. :slight_smile: